IP6: Waterproof Battery Case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Dembo, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Dembo macrumors regular

Dembo

Hi,

I am regularly using my iPhone 6 in outdoor scenarios (skiing, mountaineering, climbing) as a GPS tracker or mapping device. While there are plenty of battery saving tips in the end a battery case is the best solution (especially in low temperature environments).

So I am looking for a rugged, ideally waterproof battery case for the iPhone 6. So far I've found the LifeProof Fre Power which looks like a good fit (sadly the blue version seems to be unavailable in Europe) and SnowLizard's SLXtreme, that should be available in a few weeks. However, releasing a case a year after the device has been introduced doesn't instill confidence in the company.

Are there any other options? Crowd-funded projects worth looking at? Given the quality of the GPS receivers and cameras in these phones, I am amazed that the space isn't more crowded.

2. Dembo thread starter macrumors regular

Dembo

Found another one: The Mophie Juice Pack H2Pro: http://eu.mophie.com/shop/juice-pack-h2pro, looks similar to the Fre Power. I think the designers of these cases should spend some time looking at the typical adventure gear: Black might not be the best color option, when digging around in a backpack or after being dropped in the middle of the night.

3. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Well you say not a good sign a year after release, but doesn't that mean they have had quality time to review and tweak the builds of the casing etc? If anything that would make me a little more confident!

4. Dembo thread starter macrumors regular

Dembo

Agreed - but it is a little bit risky to release a product for what is essentially an (almost) obsolete product. I know that "obsolete" is a little bit to strong, but the window to sell these things is halfway closed.

Found another one: http://www.duracase.eu - according to their failed kickstarter they are/were planning a release for March 2016. Crazy.

I really wonder what will happen to all these planned cases if the iPhone 6s has a sufficiently different form factor.

5. Jmona macrumors 6502a

Jmona

Sadly you'd be better off going in to REI to see if they have any good cases. I wanted the same earlier this year since we've a Condo in Breckenridge and I needed something that would protect my iPhone 6+ while snowboarding all the way through peak 9 and since I wasn't using it through the snurf, it actually somehow got out of my pocket and didn't find it till the next day that someone from the resort went up and found it the next morning.
    I was using an iLoveMei curved case. Not a battery case at all but that puppy landed on a rock for what the guys that went to get it said and the phone was completely intact even though we had fresh powder that day and all ports were clear and dry. Ever since I trust that case for anything!
    Also. Thank God for find my iPhone!