Ip7+ gets really hot when using GPS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Appleloves22, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Appleloves22 macrumors 6502

Appleloves22

My iPhone 7plus gets extremely hot when I use Google Maps or any app that uses GPS (Pokémon Go). Is this normal?

2. Freakonomics101 macrumors 65816

Freakonomics101

Are you charging the iPhone while using a heavy app like Pokémon Go? When I briefly tried Pokémon Go, my phone became warm but not "extremely hot." You might have something else running in the background that you may not have control of.

3. Appleloves22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Appleloves22

No charging. Just walking around. I'll make a genius appointment if it happens again.

4. Alexrat1996 Suspended

It's normal I have same issue with my old iPhone 6

5. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

But the iPhone 6 and iPhone 7 Plus are using different internals. It would be a safer comparison to another iPhone 7 Plus to determine if the OP's iPhone 7 Plus is experiencing issues.

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

It is likley the use of the CPU and backlighting that is heating the phone. The GPS use should not create that much heat.

7. Appleloves22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Appleloves22

It happened again where it got really hot really quick on Pokémon Go. I think I may just have to delete the app. It's the only app that makes my phone get extremely hot.

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

My iPhone 7Plus gets warm quickly when playing Pokemon Go. If its warm outside, it heats up even faster.

9. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Trust me, you're better off without it anyways ;):p:D

10. gazonk macrumors member

In my experience, Google Maps is a real cpu hog which drains the battery pretty quickly. Not all gps apps are like that, I think Apple Maps is much better than Google Maps, and for instance iSmoothRun is very kind to the cpu.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

Can't say I've come across that with Google Maps. In this case it seems to be more related to a game, one which uses GPS.