Ip8 or SE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Globug, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Globug macrumors 6502

Globug

I bought the 7 last year and it was stolen in June of this year. I wasn't thrilled with the phone to begin with, the loss of the headphone jack annoyed me to no end, and it was a bit big for my hands, but i loved the new features. Now I'm using my backup iphone 5s and its dying a slow death so a new phone is needed.

Recently I've been considering the possibility of an IPhone SE. Besides the A11 chip, are there any other massive differences that would favor the 8 rather then the SE? I have never really used the 3d thing, i did love the apple pay. Anything else I'm missing? Oh and if i were to get the SE on ebay, and i got the Verizon option, do they come unlocked or an i going to have to stress about unlocking it? ( my family uses ATT and i live in Australia at the moment).

Thanks.

2. Sieve33 macrumors newbie

I always buy forward when I can - and it sounds like the new iPhone 8 camera is a big leap compared to the past. For that reason alone I would throw down on the 8.

3. cecil444 macrumors member

cecil444

The SE is much less expensive so you can always buy it outright and direct from Apple, unlocked. That way you can switch sims/carriers whenever you like. If the form factor of the bigger models didn't feel quite right, you'll be thrilled to go back to the smaller form factor.

That said, the SE is basically a 6S in the body of a 5S. So if you're stepping down from a 7 you might miss some of the bells and whistles. 3D Touch doesn't exist on the SE (but for most it's not a must-have feature; you may not miss it). The SE does have Apple Pay and Touch ID, but it's the slower/less accurate version of the tech, so that could annoy you if you were accustomed to the fast Touch ID that appeared in the 6S and 7 (though some dislike it on those models for being too fast!). The camera is probably the biggest difference, since there are always substantial improvements in that category on each year's models. The SE has the same excellent rear camera as the 6S, but the 7 is of course an improvement over that, and the 8 even moreso. The SE also has a lower quality front-facing / selfie camera than the 6S, so if you're a heavy selfie-taker or FaceTime user you may reconsider it. In my opinion the smaller form factor is well worth those trade-offs, but you may have different priorities. Good luck in making your decision!

4. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

I use the SE daily. It is on iOS 11 64gb. It runs great and is a speedy little device. For the price it is hard to walk away from. Sure the 8 will be faster but the SE has less screen so the processor does not have to work as hard. Plus the 2gb of ram really helps it. Best of all it has a 3,5mm jack!

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The great thing about the iPhone SE, is the affordability. iPhones are so expensive today, that iPhone SE offers enough functionality and performance where does not hinder someone that wants to have a good camera, touch ID, compact form factor, and of course the 3.5 mm Jack.

6. Sniv macrumors member

Sniv

Hi,
    I just bought the iPhone 8.

I've had the iPhone SE since it came out.

I gotta say I don't regret it. Yeah the headphone jack is gone, but I don't really mind. The screen, camera and fast software makes up for this.

I have not tested the battery life yet, but to me it seems pretty decent. That was my main concern, because SE has been a solid phone.

The larger screen was a must have for me when it came to my next phone. I surf the Web and read/write emails a lot, and it's just so much nicer to be able to read on a bigger screen.

But in the end it comes down to price and how comfortable you are with a bigger screen and no headphone jack.

To me there were more pros than cons when comparing SE with the iPhone 8.

7. andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

SE ftw if you don't need the fancy features of ip 8 ...you decide

8. Globug thread starter macrumors 6502

Globug

Thanks for the info guys. I'm pretty sure I'll be going for the SE. If i got one on ebay, from Verizon, are those automatically unlocked?

9. StarShot macrumors 6502a

StarShot

If you mean you 5s is dying a slow death because it's so slow, I know EXACTLY what you mean. I sold my IP7 about 2 weeks before the 8 came out and during that period I used my old dog IP5 S. Amazing to see how crappy the performance was compared to my 7 and certainly compared to my new IP8.
    [/QUOTE]

I was thinking about passing on the IP8 and waiting for the X and if I had done that, I was ready to buy the IP5 SE with the A11 chip. Now I'm thinking of buying one anyway for $350 and selling my backup 5S. They're going for $100 or so I could upgrade my backup for only $250.

10. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

Both great. Both great camera. I have 8+ but 2nd lens isn’t a big deal for me. I would still go 8. New phone screams, especially on iOS 11.1

11. azpekt macrumors regular

I had iPhone 8 plus, and the next morning I sent it back and got myself an SE.

Reasons:
    - design. I’m coming from 6+, and I really hate the design. When I got the 8+, it was the same design but lite heavy;
    - price. I can’t justify the price tag;
    - convinience. I can put my SE in front pocket, and hold it comfortably with one hand. Can’t do the same with 8+.

I’m happy with SE. you be happy with what you have :)

12. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I really like the SE.

Solid product. In fact you rarely hear anyone say a single negative thing about it.

I hope Apple continues to update it and make it a permanent fixture in their iPhone lineup.