IPA fonts

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by UmaThurman, Sep 13, 2007.

1. UmaThurman macrumors regular

UmaThurman

Hey y'all, i have microsoft office 2004 installed, and i'm taking some linguistic classes. Whenever i get an assignment, the ipa font won't show up (instead, it's werid symbols). Is there anyway I can get them to show up by downloading a patch or something? Any input would be appreciated!!

2. bluefiberoptics macrumors regular

bluefiberoptics

Searched Google and found this:

"The Mac OSX operating system is Unicode-compliant, but current versions of Microsoft Word for Mac do not support IPA characters. The Mac word processing program, TextEdit, fully supports Unicode, but it lacks advanced formatting ability. A fully functional alternative word processing program is Mellel, which is available for a nominal price at http://www.redlers.com.

An excellent Unicode font that includes IPA and many other characters is bundled with OS 10.2.3 and higher, called Lucida Sans Regular. To install it,

1. Open the following folders in this order:
    * Hard Drive
    * System
    * Library
    * Frameworks
    * JavaVM.framework
    * Versions
    * Home
    * lib
    * fonts
    2. Now locate the font called 'LucidaSansRegular.ttf' and drag it to the Library folder of your user Home directory."

3. UmaThurman thread starter macrumors regular

UmaThurman

Okay, so when i install this font, it will allow ipa to show up on word and powerpoint?!

4. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    Meaning no disrespect, but did you read the first sentence in bluefiberoptics' post?