iPad 1/2 uses gorilla glass

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JacketOff, Mar 19, 2011.

1. JacketOff macrumors newbie

Anandtech review states:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4225/the-ipad-2-review/13

The iPad 2 and previous iPad both utilize Corning Gorilla Glass. This type of glass is an alkali-aluminosilicate, being primarily silica and aluminum with an alkali metal, along with other unspecified components mixed in to tweak its properties. The biggest benefit of alluminosilicate glasses, aside from being relatively tough to start with, is the fact that the rate of ion exchange is fairly high even at temperatures low enough that the structure cannot react, meaning it can be processed quickly and create deep protective layers in the glass. The iPad 2 has a modest reduction in the thickness of the glass (about 23% thinner, for those interested) compared to the first iPad, and the question of increased fracture risk has been posed. Given the identical surface quality between the two generations, the reduction of thickness should create no palpable change in toughness for the typical user. That is to say, a drop that would shatter the screen on the original iPad would likely do the same for the new model. That being said, several other design changes appear to account for the change, and might yield better performance in this department.

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've read many references to no one knowing exactly what glass is used in the iPad 2, and some that say it's Dragontrail glass from Asahi Japan, which could be a problem going forward in production.

In 2 years, no one has verifiably said it's gorilla glass. Apple generally keeps their suppliers secret when possible.

3. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Gorilla glass, shmarilla glass... The iPhone 4 supposedly had this too and you see how "tough and scratchproof" that is.

4. madKIR macrumors 6502

...well, there's nothing wrong with this type of glass!!!
    I dropped my iPhone 4 a couple of times and beside some minor scratches there is nothing else on it now.
    I don't know maybe there are some super fragile devices that got smashed completely, but I do believe those are defective units.

5. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

6. admanimal macrumors 68040

Source?

7. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

ISuppli analysts cannot confirm with certainty, but are speculating it is dragon trail due to the concurrent release of dragontrail glass with the iPad 2. Apple keeps it's suppliers a secret.

8. admanimal macrumors 68040

I see. Well that is somewhat more convincing than the Anandtech review, since the page on the glass was written by some random undergraduate optical engineering student who didn't include any evidence to his statement that they use Gorilla Glass.

9. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Yes I read the anandtech review section on the glass and they list no sources to their statement about Corning.

10. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Do you have an issue with reading comprehension? Scratchproof is not the same thing as shatter proof. Also there is no way to make glass that is both thin and light and also make it invulnerable. Nobody from Apple or Gorilla Glass will ever claim their glass is invulnerable. They simply state that it is highly resistant to scratches and withstands more pressure than typical glass. Both of these are true, but somehow people read that to mean it is supposed to be invulnerable.

Learn to read. Also, nobody is really certain that it is Gorilla glass anyway.

11. ihazapple macrumors newbie

No idea what kind of glass it is but when the Apple employee I was talking to last night dropped the iPad on the floor of the store, it shattered.

12. gravytrain84, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011

gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

U mad buddy?

[​IMG]