Ipad 1 4.3 Jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by BigGroll, Mar 20, 2011.

1. BigGroll macrumors member

Hi, I just received a first gen Ipad, and have updated it to 4.3. Since this is my first Ipad, I haven't really been keeping up on the jailbreaking scene? Is it possible to jailbreak 4.3 on an Ipad 1 without too much tweaking? Thanks!

2. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

3. FireSokar macrumors regular

Just play with it for a while, set up home sharing. And update iTunes so you can stream your library to your iPad. Find some apps to get you by in the mean time.

4. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

I don't know if we can post other websites here but I believe you can jailbreak the ipad 1 using Sn0wbreeze 2.3b1 on iOS 4.3

5. Dav1 macrumors 6502

You can jailbreak with sn0wbreeze 2.3b1 to 4, 2.3b4 would be the most advance, and your best bet, in my opinion. It will be a tether jailbreak, meaning that you must connect to a PC and run iBooty each time you reboot the iPad. You might see that as requiring too much effort, that is your call... Hope that answers your questions.

With Sn0wbreeze 2.3b4 you can check a box and have gestures enabled!
    This version will install the fixed MobileSubstrate, so SBSettings works, as does winterboard.

Infinitidock does not work with this version...

6. pruppert macrumors 6502

pruppert

Is there a 4.3 tethered jailbreak available for Mac users?

7. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Yes you can do it with the pwnage tool but it isn't advisable right now. Just wait for the untether JB it should be along soon.

8. Dav1 macrumors 6502

Curious, Just why in your opinion isn't it advisable? Just what is this actually based upon? Admitted I'd prefer a non tether jailbreak, but once you actually have your iPad set up the way you want it, how often does one actually turn it off? Most of the time, I find myself putting mine to sleep. Certainly I can't say that apps crash anymore often with iOS 4.3 than with 4.2.1

There seems to be a number of users who have not actually installed sn0wbreeze 2.3b4 that are recommending not installing it, often the very same users who suggest that a jailbreak can't actually hurt your device:confused:

I believe we each need to make our own choices, based on the best information we can obtain.

9. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

I advised against using the pwnage tool on mac that requires installing a bunch of different programs and using custom firmwares that may or may not work and that later would require finding a way to install the new mobile substrate to get everything working. Granted, there might not be a risk of bricking, but a lot can go wrong making matters quite complicated to resolve. In my opinion it isn't worth it. I say just be patient, or JB on windows using snowbreeze. I never said anything about using that. The guy in charge of it actually updated it to remove bugs and to automatically add in the new mobile substrate so that is a much safer bet than using the pwnage tool; the downside is you need a windows machine for snowbreeze. Either way, both options are less than optimal and there are good reasons to think the untether JB is around the corner.

10. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

In my experience, flashing iOS devices w/ custom fw's made with pwnagetool has never bricked a device yet; if there is an issue (usually with the fw and how it was made) the device usually rejects it and brings it back to restore mode.

I was able to JB my iPad 1 w/ 4.3 with sn0wbreeze .b4 only after the 3rd try. And only on a windows vista machine. However it was completely worth it.