iPad 1 and IOS5

Discussion in 'iPad' started by johndallas999, Jun 22, 2011.

1. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

2. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

So we get everything, except mirroring? I wonder why that is? I can stream a movie from my ipad to the apple TV, so why can't I mirror?

3. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

My guess is that the video chip can't do it. Streaming via AirPlay isn't going through the video display chip.

4. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

What I mean is that if I am going to play a video on my ipad, I can. It copes quite happily. If I want to throw it to the apple TV, I can as well. It will happily lob that data across without issue. So why would it have trouble doing essentially the same thing with the display, rather than video? It's less data, as the display is static a lot of the time as well, if you see what I mean?

5. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Yes. And the issue is that sending a video to an AppleTV is sending the raw video file data to the AppleTV, like copying a file.

Mirroring the interface involves taking live-generated graphics, including 3D graphics that are created live by the 3D chip.

If the 3D chip in the iPad 1 does not support sending what it is generating to two outputs, then Apple can't implement mirroring. No amount of software can help.