Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsf721

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Li, NY
Can the iPad software be updated? I have my brothers here that he asked me to update and I do not see and any software update between the about and usage list under the general tab? Is this becasue the battery is at 11% or becasue there is not software that can be updated?

FamiliaPhoto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
Can the iPad software be updated? I have my brothers here that he asked me to update and I do not see and any software update between the about and usage list under the general tab? Is this becasue the battery is at 11% or becasue there is not software that can be updated?

What are you trying to update, IOS or some apps? Under the general tab I think you will only see if an update is available for IOS. If you want to update specific apps open up the App Store and go to Updates, you will see them there.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
It can be updated, but it is on iOS 4 or even 3.2. Before iOS 5 you can't install system updates directly on the device.

That means you have to plug it into iTunes on your computer. If you have the latest iTunes it will tell you there is an update available and will download and install.

If the computer you plug it into isn't the one your brother used it will want to erase everything off the device (It can only sync with one computer.) If you don't care you can do this, or if you want to keep everything on their click the button that doesn't erase & sync.

If you don't erase, make sure you right click the device in iTunes and create a backup before updating.

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
What version of iOS are you on? Software update over the air is fairly recent, so if you have a much earlier version then you'll need to connect to iTunes to update.

jsf721

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Li, NY
It is on 3.2.1 so now what?

It can be updated, but it is on iOS 4 or even 3.2. Before iOS 5 you can't install system updates directly on the device.

That means you have to plug it into iTunes on your computer. If you have the latest iTunes it will tell you there is an update available and will download and install.

If the computer you plug it into isn't the one your brother used it will want to erase everything off the device (It can only sync with one computer.) If you don't care you can do this, or if you want to keep everything on their click the button that doesn't erase & sync.

If you don't erase, make sure you right click the device in iTunes and create a backup before updating.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
It is on 3.2.1 so now what?

So you'll need to plug it into a computer with iTunes and an internet connection, preferably the same one your brother used when he got it, but otherwise and computer will do.

First it will probably tell you an update is available. Tell it just to download for now.

It will ask if you want to "Erase & Sync" and if you want to keep everything on there - DON'T - do that.

After that right click the iPad in the sidebar of iTunes and create a backup.

After it backs up, left click on the iPad in the sidebar so you see information about it. Somewhere on there it will say something about a software update being available, click and install it.

After it updates your iPad will ask if you want to restore using iTunes, to that say yes and it will restore all the apps and settings that you had on there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.