iPad 1 automatically turning on?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Sonic04GT, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Sonic04GT, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011

Sonic04GT macrumors regular

I have an iPad 1 32GB Wifi/3G that spends 99% of it's life on the Apple keyboard dock, no cables unless I'm charging it. Every now and then I'll see something light up out of the corner of my eye. Sure enough my iPad turned itself on from sleep mode, and eventually shuts back off soon after. I keep it on standby so it is essentially waking itself up somehow. Anybody have this issue? Happens fairly often.

2. Sonic04GT thread starter macrumors regular

3. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Begs the obvious question. "No cables unless I'm chariging it".

Does it always happen while it's charging? If so, then obviously the power (charge) to the unit is getting disrupted and then it "wakes up" when the power charging is restored.

If not, perhaps something is sending it a very quick power "surge". Not familiar with the dock of speak of, I can't say for sure, but it sure sound like it's simply a change it it's getting a power supply.

4. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

Is it simply a Sade of the iPad being charged. Turning off 'charging' and when it gets to a certain level, powering again?

5. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

When charging, the iPad doesn't go to sleep.

What's happening is when you've plugged it in, the iPad charges to 100%, then it stops charging, allowing the iPad's screen to turn off; the iPad's battery then goes down, until it reaches 99% - therefore not being fully charged; so it charges again, which will turn the iPad's screen on, then the battery goes down again etc. etc.

6. g0odfr1end102 macrumors 6502

g0odfr1end102

It might be that you're iPad is planning a murder ;)
    After all, iPad IS a killer product
    haha............

7. Sonic04GT thread starter macrumors regular

It has been doing this with no cables attached, just sitting on the dock so power can't possibly have anything to do with it.
    [​IMG]

It does not make the beep noise you typically hear when you plug a cable in. It just turns the screen on silently, and goes back to sleep like 10 seconds later.

8. SBA macrumors member

Mine actually just did the same thing like an hour ago. It wasn't docked or plugged in though, just sitting on the couch next to me and the screen came on randomly. It's never happened before. I have no idea why it did it.

9. Sonic04GT thread starter macrumors regular

Odd. The iPad plague

10. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

I didn't type my initial response correctly.

1) Does it happen at all when it's charging and hooked up to the same dock in the same manner?

2) When no cables and it's hooked up as your image shows (to a keyboard dock), what I am suspecting is that perhaps there is some small residual power in the dock (like a charged capacitor) that periodically discharges slightly in some manner and the iPad reads it as a power "charge" and wakes up for a few seconds. If so, the no sound/beep may be because the "surge" was very low and just enough to nudge the iPad awake but not make it emit any audible sound.

Makes sense?

Mike

11. Sonic04GT thread starter macrumors regular

Makes sense, but could a capacitor hold residual power for days? I have not really paid attention while it's charging to notice. It's nearly dead so when I charge it back up I will see what I find.

Thanks.

Chris