iPad 1 can't handle iTextbooks... Anyone else?

Hammie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
My iPad 1 just cannot handle iTextbooks. I downloaded the free "Life on Earth" textbook and just never loads or crashed iBooks.

By never loading, I mean that the intro video doesn't play (although I get audio) and then it just goes to the grey burlap looking background and just stays there.

I can finally get rid of this page by getting the iBooks app to crash.

I have made sure that all apps are closed (did not help) and did a complete reset of the iPad (power+home button) (still did not help).

My son's iPad 2 handles the "Life on Earth" textbook fine.

Maybe related, maybe not, but I see a TON of crashes with my iPad 1. Almost every app has crashed on me. Safari, Mail, Youtube, and all games are the biggest culprits.

Any thoughts or comments?

kobyh15

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Those textbooks are memory hungry. Running them with 256 MB of on board memory is a tough task especially if anything is running in the background. It stinks but it's just part of technological progress. Hoping the iPad 3 had a GB onboard.

Hammie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Those textbooks are memory hungry. Running them with 256 MB of on board memory is a tough task especially if anything is running in the background. It stinks but it's just part of technological progress. Hoping the iPad 3 had a GB onboard.
I've already decided on upgrading to the iPad 3. Even the performance difference between my iPad 1 and my son's iPad 2 is noticeable. I'm also hoping the 3 with be another performance increase. :cool:

eq2675

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2008
I have an iPad 1 running 5.0.1 and have to keep un-needed apps closed and run Xsysinfo often to keep memory free. Give it a try.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Please change your thread title. It's deceptive and wrong. Textbooks not working on your iPad =/= textbooks not working on EVERY original iPad.

It works perfectly fine mine. No issues.
The title is fine.

They do work on mine but its by luck, most of the time it just crashes. Kinda disappointing...

eq2675

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2008
I have an iPad 1 running 5.0.1 and have to keep un-needed apps closed and run Xsysinfo often to keep memory free. Give it a try.
Just tried my iPad 1 using iTunes U and it worked fine. I closed all the apps first, then ran Xsysinfo, then ran iTunes U.

Hammie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
Just tried my iPad 1 using iTunes U and it worked fine. I closed all the apps first, then ran Xsysinfo, then ran iTunes U.
xsysinfo (at least the app that shows up with the search of that name) no longer has the memory clear option. $1.99 down the drain. :(

I have not had any issues with the iTunes U app. It is working fine for me.

Davydd

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2008
Minnesota
I got the no video but audio only on my iPad 1. I could not get out of the book. So I rebooted and closed out iBooks completely on rebooting on the memory strip. The second time I opened the book it worked.

nick7138

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2010
I had a similar problem. Just delete iBooks and reinstall and it should work perfectly, though a little slow to open a book.

eq2675

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2008
xsysinfo (at least the app that shows up with the search of that name) no longer has the memory clear option. $1.99 down the drain. :(

I have not had any issues with the iTunes U app. It is working fine for me.
Man, I'm sorry. Looks like Xsysinfo has been removed from the App Store. I googled it and other sites report that it is gone. I also use System Activity Monitor and the version I have frees memory too. Download at your own risk.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
Running an iPhone 4 with 512MB of memory is painful enough. Always running low. I'd hate to be in your position.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
I have a first gen iPad (64gig wifi) and tried the free text book last night.

It carries a hefty file size that was rather unexpected but while my iPad didn't implode or anything like that, it's a pretty demanding app for the older iPad. I closed all other apps in the background and it worked rather well. I was first expecting the textbooks to have the traditional page turn like other iBooks I have already.

Still, the videos were neat and I liked the pinch to zoom images but still, once the iPad 3 comes out, it may be time to upgrade. As much as I love my original model, Apple really has come a long way adding features to the first generation since it's launch and running iOS 3.2.x

Mine still looks and runs like new but demands increase and the 1Ghz A4 is showing its age. Newer games are choppy or missing detail and I admit that I have no blinders on. When the iPad 2 was released, as much as I spent on this iPad, I'd say I got my money's worth skipping a generation. Many games still run and look great and it's my perfect photo album...

Back to iBooks 2.0, the software runs fine for me but I did have some issues with the freebie. Launching to a grey screen. I deleted it and I can live with that. And dream how much better they will look on a much higher resolution display. :apple:

mgipe

macrumors demi-god
Oct 6, 2009
CA
Definitely a problem on original iPad. Can't get past one or two pages of any textbook without a crash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.