iPad 1 can't handle iTextbooks... Anyone else?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Hammie, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

My iPad 1 just cannot handle iTextbooks. I downloaded the free "Life on Earth" textbook and just never loads or crashed iBooks.

By never loading, I mean that the intro video doesn't play (although I get audio) and then it just goes to the grey burlap looking background and just stays there.

I can finally get rid of this page by getting the iBooks app to crash.

I have made sure that all apps are closed (did not help) and did a complete reset of the iPad (power+home button) (still did not help).

My son's iPad 2 handles the "Life on Earth" textbook fine.

Maybe related, maybe not, but I see a TON of crashes with my iPad 1. Almost every app has crashed on me. Safari, Mail, Youtube, and all games are the biggest culprits.

Any thoughts or comments?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Please change your thread title. It's deceptive and wrong. Textbooks not working on your iPad =/= textbooks not working on EVERY original iPad.

It works perfectly fine mine. No issues.

4. Hammie thread starter macrumors 65816

Hammie

Not specifically for this issue, but I have restored for the constant app crashes that I also experience.

5. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Those textbooks are memory hungry. Running them with 256 MB of on board memory is a tough task especially if anything is running in the background. It stinks but it's just part of technological progress. Hoping the iPad 3 had a GB onboard.

6. Hammie thread starter macrumors 65816

Hammie

I've already decided on upgrading to the iPad 3. Even the performance difference between my iPad 1 and my son's iPad 2 is noticeable. I'm also hoping the 3 with be another performance increase. :cool:

7. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

8. Hammie thread starter macrumors 65816

Hammie

Nope.

9. Brittanydavie macrumors member

10. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

When you restore do you restore as a new iPad or do you restore from a backup?

11. Hammie thread starter macrumors 65816

Hammie

I've done both with the same outcome... crashing apps. :(

12. smoledman macrumors 68000

I guess it's time to get an iPad 2.:(

13. aneftp macrumors 601

Idiotic at this time to get an iPad 2 IF u own n iPad 1 with iPad 3 just around the corner. Unless u are getting a significant discount for the iPad 2.

14. eq2675 macrumors regular

I have an iPad 1 running 5.0.1 and have to keep un-needed apps closed and run Xsysinfo often to keep memory free. Give it a try.

15. irDigital0l Guest

The title is fine.

They do work on mine but its by luck, most of the time it just crashes. Kinda disappointing...

16. Hammie thread starter macrumors 65816

Hammie

I revised the title after that comment. I added "Anyone else?" to the end.

17. eq2675 macrumors regular

Just tried my iPad 1 using iTunes U and it worked fine. I closed all the apps first, then ran Xsysinfo, then ran iTunes U.

18. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

every time I have apps crash, deleting and re-installing the apps fixes the issue.

19. Hammie thread starter macrumors 65816

Hammie

xsysinfo (at least the app that shows up with the search of that name) no longer has the memory clear option. $1.99 down the drain. :(

I have not had any issues with the iTunes U app. It is working fine for me.

20. Davydd macrumors regular

I got the no video but audio only on my iPad 1. I could not get out of the book. So I rebooted and closed out iBooks completely on rebooting on the memory strip. The second time I opened the book it worked.

21. nick7138 macrumors member

I had a similar problem. Just delete iBooks and reinstall and it should work perfectly, though a little slow to open a book.

22. eq2675 macrumors regular

Man, I'm sorry. Looks like Xsysinfo has been removed from the App Store. I googled it and other sites report that it is gone. I also use System Activity Monitor and the version I have frees memory too. Download at your own risk.

23. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Running an iPhone 4 with 512MB of memory is painful enough. Always running low. I'd hate to be in your position.

24. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

I have a first gen iPad (64gig wifi) and tried the free text book last night.

It carries a hefty file size that was rather unexpected but while my iPad didn't implode or anything like that, it's a pretty demanding app for the older iPad. I closed all other apps in the background and it worked rather well. I was first expecting the textbooks to have the traditional page turn like other iBooks I have already.

Still, the videos were neat and I liked the pinch to zoom images but still, once the iPad 3 comes out, it may be time to upgrade. As much as I love my original model, Apple really has come a long way adding features to the first generation since it's launch and running iOS 3.2.x

Mine still looks and runs like new but demands increase and the 1Ghz A4 is showing its age. Newer games are choppy or missing detail and I admit that I have no blinders on. When the iPad 2 was released, as much as I spent on this iPad, I'd say I got my money's worth skipping a generation. Many games still run and look great and it's my perfect photo album...

Back to iBooks 2.0, the software runs fine for me but I did have some issues with the freebie. Launching to a grey screen. I deleted it and I can live with that. And dream how much better they will look on a much higher resolution display. :apple:

25. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

Definitely a problem on original iPad. Can't get past one or two pages of any textbook without a crash.