iPad iPad 1 can't install or update apps!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by syan48306, Oct 4, 2013.

1. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

My uncle's got an iPad 1 and I restored it recently to 5.1.1 - the most up to date firmware. Somehow, every time I try to install an app or update an app from the iPad app store on the device, it asks me to update iOS to the "latest version." The problem is 5.1.1 IS the latest version. Thus, I can't install or update any apps from the iPad.

Any thoughts how to get this to work?

2. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I believe you are going to be stuck. 5.1.1 is kind of old now. As Apps get updated you have to be running the latest (or at least 1 before) version of iOS. You maybe able to Jailbreak ti get round it but that's not really my thing.

3. RedOrchestra Suspended

@syan48306 - with an iPad1, you're caught in a time warp. Apps get upgraded over time and iOS support diminishes. You'll have to live with the Apps that are working.

4. MadJens macrumors member

I love Apple and their products but the fact that an iPad 1, released only in 2010 (!!!), won't be working how it should be in probably two years time is plain unacceptable. It really is unbelievable if you think about it! Absolutely unbelievable!

5. windowpain macrumors 6502a

I too have an ipad 1..so I feel your pain.

Apples 'solution' is for you to buy a new ipad.

(I completely agree with MadJens!)

6. cypriot macrumors regular

Only thing they should do is redirect you to the older version of apps (if available) that are supported by your version of IOS. They don't have to support all versions.

However in the age of consumption i don't see this coming.

7. WilliamG macrumors G3

Actually, Apple does exactly that.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2424478,00.asp

8. srkmish macrumors regular

srkmish

Its really sad that a 3 year old device is outdated now.

9. cypriot macrumors regular

Sorry my mistake. I didnt know that. My little brother has ipad 1 and it is almost like a brick now. I couldnt install anything on it and i didnt see that warning. May be the apps we tried were made for ios 6 and later.

10. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

3 years in tech is like 100 years

11. syan48306 thread starter macrumors 6502a

syan48306

The thing is, the app that I'm trying install support iOS 4+. If I download the apps through iTunes and then transfer it over to the iPad the app works. It just wont let me download them via the app store on the iPad. It's just stupid.

It's as if the app thinks I've got an iPad 2, and THINKS I should update the OS even when I don't HAVE TO. This is just stupid. I really think it's a bug in the system since the apps work just fine and the iPad 1 is one of the few devices still stuck on iOS5.

12. thekb macrumors 6502a

And in the real world, it's like 3 years.

I don't expect anything to change, but it is unconscionable that a 3 year old $800 product becomes obsolete for purely arbitrary reasons.

13. Dented macrumors 6502a

I do think they treated people badly with this - the "3 years in tech" excuse kind of ignores the fact that the 2010 iPhone just got updated to IOS 7, while the 2010 iPad is stuck a full 2 versions behind.

It was a first gen product and clearly the hardware was limited.. but that was their problem and they should have done more to maintain it. It's hard to believe there was no way they could have got a version of IOS 6 running on there at least, even if it missed a feature or two.

14. Alrescha macrumors 68020

It's something unique to your iPad. I have an original iPad and I can download apps and install them without problem. If I try to download an app for which there is a newer (incompatible) version, I am offered an older version.

A.

15. benji888 macrumors 68000

benji888

Have you given it a power cycle since updating it? I give my iPad 1 a power cycle after updating/adding apps or a sync.

Check to make sure he is signed in... Settings>Store>Apple ID xxx

Is iCloud set up? Settings>iCloud

And, if using Find My iPhone, sign in to that again also.