Ipad 1 crashing

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jamesd123, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Jamesd123 macrumors member

Hi

I have a Ipad 1, it still runs fast and I take very good care of it.

But the last week it has recently started crashing when using safari, so I toke everything off and did a restore then put everything back on, it worked for about 2hours and then started crashing again.

Any tips?

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

3. Jamesd123 thread starter macrumors member

No, I started it as it was a new Ipad

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

5. Jamesd123 thread starter macrumors member

6. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Could be a hardware issue as well. Hopefully some one else can chime in here, never had this issue with my iPads before.

7. Rodster macrumors 68040

There are some 1st Gen iPad's that don't play nice with the latest OS. Someone started a thread where his iPad kept crashing after he went from iOS 4 to iOS 5.

8. ilektrix macrumors newbie

crash like return to home screen or freeze-like and have to hard restart?

mine "crashes" and returns to home screen just about every couple of days, if not more often. ipad 1st gen, btw. safari and a whole lot of other apps. but i still use it often and love it.

i thought it was because the os was getting heavier and heavier as it updates and ipad 1st gen was just outdated now.

would be nice if i could trim parts of it down...

9. Jamesd123 thread starter macrumors member

I will open safari and it will half open the page and then just return to the home screen. Say I use it for a hour it might do this 2 or 3 times when open wed pages.

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Tim Cook does not care about your crashing issues with iPad 1st gen but he wants your money by forcing you to upgrade your iPad to 2 or 3 gen iPad.

11. Jamesd123 thread starter macrumors member

Yep, I have been into Apple and they just don't want to help, when you are poor you can't buy the latest things. I am actually looking at Android for my next phone.

12. Jamesd123 thread starter macrumors member

Anybody else got ideas? Or should I just put up with it

13. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

the htc one looks cool. especially the camera.
    i really want to try a windows phone.

sorry to stray off topic lol

14. Jamesd123 thread starter macrumors member

what is the point.....

15. poloponies macrumors 68030

The trouble is that it's difficult to distinguish between user error, software conflicts and hardware faults from anecdotal data. We still have 2 iPad 1s in use in our household that have been updated to the current iteration of iOS and Safari works just fine, so it's clear that the iPad 1 is capable of handling the latest OS version with no problems. But there are any number of reasons why someone could be experiencing problems - with only a very few due to the hardware itself.

16. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

of staying on topic? lol

17. Jamesd123 thread starter macrumors member

18. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Take it to your local Apple store they might be able to help you.

19. Jamesd123 thread starter macrumors member

Tried that and no luck

20. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

21. Jamesd123 thread starter macrumors member

22. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I had this issue when I went to iOS 5. I took my iPad to the Apple Store - Mall of Georgia. The genius knew exactly what to do. He backed up my iPad, reinstalled the iOS, restored and all was good. The fact that I'm well out of warranty wasn't an issue. We've bought many products there and have NEVER had anyone at the genius bar tell us that something couldn't be fixed.

23. mad cow disease macrumors member

Looks like you ran into one of the few geniuses who is a competent tech. Most just try and sell you new product. Unfortunately, it is the latter that will keep Apple customers loyal.

I would suggest to OP that he try completely starting from scratch. If not, knowing more specifics about what he's trying to do when using Safari would help. For instance, I've found that certain javascript-heavy pages will start to lag and eventually crash Safari on my iPad. That isn't a problem with the iPad as much as it is garbage programming on the webpage side.

Also...try closing as many apps as you can on the iPad when using Safari? I have found when it's running multiple applications it slows down - makes sense, as there is only 256 MB of onboard memory and with newer software versions, more of that is occupied with running background tasks. My iPod Touch 2G slowed drastically going from iOS 3->4.

24. Jamesd123 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for this, I have done another fresh re install, I keep background apps to a minimum anway. Seems to be a bit better, will just use it for a bit, shame IOS6 aint coming to Ipad 1

25. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

You could attempt to visit the same websites using a different browser on the iPad. Surprise, there are actually more browsers than Safari available for the iPad. I use this one sometimes.

Browser Plus for iPad