iPad 1 Gestures

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by w00t951, Oct 12, 2011.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

There are some threads about gestures and the iPad 1, but I need to know how to re-enable them.

I recall the Xcode allowed you to "enable this device for developing" or something, and that would enable gestures. Does this still work? I don't actually have Xcode, so I want to make sure before buying it.

If not, what do I need to do (short of jail breaking) to get these gestures back?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The gestures have been completely removed from the iPad 1G running iOS 5. You must jailbreak to re-enable them.

3. colorblindpicas macrumors newbie

Let me guess....

There is a special chip in the iPad 2 needed to make the gestures work? What legit reason could they possible have for making that an iPad 2 only feature?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Marketing. Apple is a company and companies want to sell their stuff. To get more people to buy iPad 2's, Apple had to make some features iPad 2 only.

5. The Poet, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011

The Poet macrumors member

At least pulling out the mailbox with two fingers works. :/

6. colorblindpicas macrumors newbie

I can KIND of understand Siri on the 4S. But freaking gestures being a "new" feature only on the ipad2? How is that going to sell a single new iPad? It isn't a feature you sell someone on. It will only make users like me mad and serve to confuse less savy people. My parents already have a hard time differentiating the "GPS" iPad from the wifi only one. Now I have to say "now those gestures are inky on the new ones... You'll have to buy a new version if you want to use all four fingers to change apps....". Give me a break.

7. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

Gestures worked fine in the betas. Why take it away from us now? It's a negligible feature that just enhances navigation. It won't convince me I have to go upgrade my iPad.

Normally I understand the decisions Apple makes, but I think they missed the mark on this one (assuming no performance, battery, etc. issues were discovered in those betas where it was enabled.)