iPad 1 good condition or iPad 2 cracked screen, best option?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Zincous, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Zincous macrumors 6502

So I can keep my iPad 1 (16 GB WiFi) which is in great condition. Or replace it with my dads old iPad 2 (16 GB Verizon) that has a cracked screen. The iPad 2 still works, but it looks like this. For my uses, either one is fine with me. I'm just thinking down the road for resale value, which would be best to keep.

Which one is worth more? The older generation in great condition or the 3G iPad 2 with a cracked screen?

And how much would the screen cost to replace?

Thank you.

2. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

That's a really ugly crack, but I guess it depends on personal preference, does the crack bother you much?

The glass is about $40 http://www.amazon.com/iPad-2-Glass-...ZR5C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332636262&sr=8-1

As far as resale value, you probably will be able to get more for the 1 if you sell it now, but the price is decreasing daily.

The iPad 2 will take a massive price hit because people are going to want a perfect iPad for what they are paying, hence all the frustration with "defective" ipad3's

3. falcora macrumors 6502

Yeah, the resale value of a cracked iPad is pretty low. Although you will see some really nice speed improvements by upgrading to the iPad 2.

4. UrsaMajor macrumors regular

I would have the glass swapped out. If you're not technical, buy the glass, adhesive and opening tool and pay someone else to. Otherwise resale vale is quite low. People on eBay make big money all the time just reselling iPad parts or ones they fixed cheap.

5. trek360 macrumors 6502

Personally I'd stick with the original iPad.

Or plan on fixing the screen on the iPad 2 but that will cost some $$ even if you can do it yourself. A professional install will probably run you a couple hundred bucks.

***if you can get the screen fixed the iPad 2 resale is going to be much better than the original.