Ipad 1 good enough for web browsing?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Earsly, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Earsly macrumors newbie

I just picked up a Nano 6th generation yesterday as my first apple product. Today, I'm thinking about picking up an Ipad. If all I do is surf the net would you say an Ipad 1 16gb is good enough? I know the Ipad 2 is faster but I wouldn't think it would make that much of a difference for web browsing?

If so, should I buy refurb or new? Thanks in advance!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. noobinator macrumors 601

no way, you need the extra bits or some crap to surf the net!/forum

Yes, it's plenty good for surfing the web.

4. Ole'schooliBook macrumors member

iPad 1 is great for web-browsing. Even better after the new iOS 4.3 update a few days ago.

I would say, however, even though you say you plan to use it only for web browsing, you may find your usage evolves into more apps/games/video/TV streaming, etc. iPad 1 can do all these things, but as you mentioned, iPad 2 is faster and could potentially have more longevity left than iPad 1 (obviously).

Personally, I've been planning on picking up a new iPad 2 to use with content creation apps (garageband, iMovie) as well as consumption apps (Netflix, iTunes, web surfing, etc). But in the past few days, I've played around with an iPad 1 with all these apps and they run like a champ. A refurb is definitely a good deal and most importantly, a capable device for now.

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

iPad1 can be had for a good deal and will certainly do what you are looking for

6. turkey1 macrumors member

I have the iPad 2 and was thinking man this seems slower then my wife's 1st gen iPad. Pretty sure icab the browser I was using doesn't have the new script like safari.( call me out if I'm wrong) any was switched to perfect browser and now both the iPad and iPad 2 fly. iPad 2 has a slight advantage on some heavy sites engadget ext ,but the difference is negligible. Not worth the extra if that's all you do

Now if you plan on doing much else iPad 2 all the way

7. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

I've been using an iPad 1 since UK launch day and one of the biggest things I do on it is browse the web, so I'd have to say that the original iPad is a good web browser. However it could be better, particularly if you want to have lots of pages open at the same time. The iPad 2 has more RAM so it should be a lot better at this and I'm seriously considering selling my original iPad and trading up.

So I suppose it comes down to how much web browsing you want to do and how patient you are.