iPad 1: How low will it go ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by matelot, Mar 14, 2011.

1. matelot macrumors regular

So what's your wildest guess on how low (%-wise of original prices) will USED Gen#1 be ? (in say 1 month)
    I'm looking to score me one :rolleyes:

2. p0intblank macrumors 68030

I just sold my 32 GB Wi-Fi on eBay for about $400. You can probably find an iPad for as low as $300.

3. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

The iPad 1 is the Apple's red-headed stepchild now.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Personally, I'd say you've just missed the absolute best time to buy a used ipad1; middle of last week you had a lot of people needing to sell their ipad1's to have enough money to go stand in line on Friday for the launch. That flood of "motivated sellers" has dwindled, but I imagine a few are still out there. Only with the expected ship dates, there's not quite as much of a sense of urgency on their part as before.

So I'd say we're at or just past the low-point in used prices for the next two or three months. They'll stay low for a little longer while Apple has refurb ipad1's in stock, but once those and the clearanced ipad1's are gone I expect to see used ipad1 prices rise back up a little bit. If you're looking to buy, I'd say go for it now.

... and I could be completely wrong too. YMMV. :D

5. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Gazelle's offers seem to back this up. I sold mine to them last week for $530, and they're still offering $530 a week later.

6. rkahl, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011

rkahl macrumors 65816

7. OSMac macrumors 65816

Once Apple sells out of the refurbs
    and iPad 2 madness settles down over the next couple weeks,
    I'd bet iPad 1 prices will trend up for a while...

If you can find a mint original iPad for $275 - $325 how can you go wrong?

It's an excellent device,
    and the updates in the new one
    really make little difference for what most use them for?

8. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I agree. Especially for those people who just leisurely use it as lounge reader it's an awesome deal for that kind of price and they won't see much difference between the iPad 1 and the iPad 2 as most apps run the same and the screen looks almost identical. Which means buy your parents some iPad 1! :)

9. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

I just bought a brand new still sealed in box 64gb wifi for $400 yesterday! I figured it was too good of a price to pass!

10. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Agreed.

I sold mine for less than I had wanted to just because I was in a hurry to sell, but people expecting it to go lower than what it currently is (in my opinion) just wishful thinking.

the original price for the base model was $499, now you can find them for $300-$350 and people still want it to go lower?

11. arc918 macrumors member

arc918

middle of last week I got a 16G 3G for $325 on Craigslist - best price I've seen for 3G

12. PLamarine macrumors 6502

PLamarine

Just paid $550 for a 64gb 3G with Apple case, Apple keyboard dock, and 9 months left on warranty, all original boxes, documentation, cables etc. Bought on Craigslist. Guy was asking $699 originally. $500 seems to be going price for the 64gb 3G (gazelle is giving people $530).

13. deeddawg macrumors 604

Good point. Though in my defense I was speaking more in terms of person-to-person sales such as Craigslist or eBay rather than pricing of sales to a reseller. :cool:

It will be interesting to see the Gazelle and eBay Instant pricing do over the next weeks. Certainly they have an interest in undercutting the C2C used market since their ultimate goal is reselling the units acquired now. As with any business purchasing used items, they will tend to offer less than private sale pricing as their value proposition to the seller is a quick, easy, no risk sale; and presumably when they resell the units their value prop. is that they stand behind their sales and offer lower risk than private sales. Not very different in general concept from the used car market.

14. freeman727 macrumors 6502

Just got a mint 64gb 3g for $500. The apple case and keyboard are nice touches. I just shelled out $30 for the Marware C.E.O. I want the wireless keyboard.

The price of the ipad 1's with warranty will plateau until next year when the iPad 3's come out. Now is a good time to buy the iPad 1 if you are thinking about it.

15. JasonBourne1 macrumors regular

Just bought 1st gen iPad 64gb wifi +3G, with the official Apple case included, for £425 (buy it now price) !! :D

16. iserian macrumors 6502

As folks realize how much of a non release the pad #2 was... I agree prices will trend up a bit.

17. PLamarine macrumors 6502

PLamarine

$687 US is insanely high. Is that the going rate in the UK?

18. PLamarine macrumors 6502

PLamarine

Yeah, that seems the going rate. I will most likely get the iPad 3 when it comes out, hopefully it comes out this fall.

19. freeman727 macrumors 6502

Doubt it, unless Apple sells 50 million iPad 2's. It does not make financial sense. Has there ever been an iOS product come out sooner than 11 months proceding the previous product?

20. matelot thread starter macrumors regular

my guess is that this kind of cash-strapped people are in the very small minority - i.e. Majority of iPad 1 owners have the extra cash (and patience to wait and avoid the crazies). When the crazy rush dies down, there would likely be a whole lot of used ones for sale thus drive down the prices.

My personal target amount for a used iPad1 is at least 50% of the original, else I will just get the new one.

21. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Prices aren't going to continue to decrease. The best time is right now, as people are still selling in order to subsidize an upgrade. Right now there is still an overabundance of iPads for sale, in a month from now most will be sold and the prices will probably be higher because of less availability.

The only reason for the original extreme price drop was because Apple dropped the price of new iPad 1s by $100.

More people selling = lower prices.
    Less people selling = higher prices.

Not by a lot, but relatively higher.

22. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Pretty low. Found a 16gb 3G model for just under $300. Was such a good deal, I couldn't pass it up.

It will be my mobile in the car 100% of the time iPad.

23. twiggy0 macrumors 6502

How'd you manage to get $530? They're offering $398 for an iPad 3G 64GB in Mint condition.... :(

24. twiggy0 macrumors 6502

Please tell me how you managed to get $530!

iPad 3G 64GB gives me $398.:(

gazelle link

25. Dillenger macrumors 6502a

Dillenger

A week before the release of the iPad 2 I sold my 64 gig WiFi with Apple case on eBay for $500.00 So I was very pleased at that price.