iPad 1, how many websites can you have open?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Gabe3, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Gabe3 macrumors newbie

I think safari has a limit of 9 websites open. what about other browsers? how many websites can you load up with the device still responsive? can someone try maybe 15 or 20 on the ipad 1? and post what browser you used, thanks.

2. taipan61 macrumors 6502

i think the most i've had open is around 10 in atomic web

3. Gabe3 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

and you can't test this yourself because???

5. Gabe3 thread starter macrumors newbie

maybe cause I haven't ordered an ipad 1 yet, lol.

6. taipan61 macrumors 6502

then why are you worrying about something that doesn't pertain to you yet?
    buy one, play around and see what it can do

7. Gabe3 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd like to know before I buy it. it costs shipping and restocking fee to return to apple. I can't try an ipad 1 out in stores.

8. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Let's go at this differently, how many websites do you need to have open?

9. Gabe3 thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought I made it clear in the first post. I want to know if I can have 15-20 websites open at once on the ipad 1. safari doesn't allow more than 9 I believe, so someone would have to use a different browser.

10. taipan61 macrumors 6502

why do you need so many open at once, and yes you may need another browser but someone else besides me is gonna have to purchase it to check it for you as i'm happy with my iPad and what i got on it

11. Gabe3 thread starter macrumors newbie

well, on my macbook I have 35 tabs open in firefox, and I use all of them daily. some people are heavy web browsers for doing work and researching things, my dad has 40+

is there a free one you could try, like mercury?

12. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

I think its 9 too

but jailbreak, get the "Tab+" tweak and you can hace as many as you want

13. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

Why anyone would need more than 9 open tabs is beyond me

14. taipan61 macrumors 6502

so from what i gather from your posts, you like to keep the tabs open so that you can jump to them instantaneously (like watching stock tickers) correct?

you might be able to with a free one but apple does like to hobble apps except their own so they can get front line billing

you might try iCab (1.99) or atomic (.99)

thats about all i got

15. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I bet your RAM is screaming for mercy. 35! :eek: How can you possibly be looking at 35 things at once?

FYI: I just loaded over 50 tabs in Terra on my iPad 2 and everything seemed fine. (Keep in mind each tab only had Google loaded.)

16. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I usually have 50 to 100 tabs open on my MBP, but I know it's no iPad. If you want a portable device only for keeping browser tabs open, then you want to get MacBook Air or MacBook Pro.

If you want the many great apps iOS has to offer, get iPad.

17. Gabe3 thread starter macrumors newbie

my question isn't what browser can open more than 9 websites, its how many websites can be opened before it gets laggy.

18. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

This thread has run its course. Talk about a pointless problem. There is absolutely positively no way you would have to have more than 9 open tabs running at once on an iPad. Hopefully this will soon be closed.... :mad:

19. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

How on earth do you have 50=1000 tabs open? This is 50 tabs on chrome... How on earth do you navigate?

[​IMG]Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

20. Gabe3 thread starter macrumors newbie

different people have different needs. you, and several others have done nothing to contribute to my question, maybe your post should be deleted.

21. Detrias macrumors member

Well theres a few things to take in consideration here, key being the size of the content loaded in each of the tabs. I dont have an iPad1 but perhaps the test on my iPad 2 can give u a hint.

With nothing else running on the background i had around 14 tabs opened in Atomic (i had reset tabs when low on memory turned off) when it started to feel a lil sluggish.....opened all the way to 20 and didn't felt much worse than having 14 tho. Around half of them were kinda heavy in media content.

22. err404 macrumors 68020

I have had around 20 tabs open in iCab on my iPad 1, but it gets to be very unstable and sluggish. If this is a requirement for you, I don't feel that the iPad 1 is the right device. You need something with more RAM.

23. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

It's incredible how stupid some of the people in this thread are.

The OP asked a question and wants an answer, no your worthless opinion/advice. Don't tell him what to do. If you can't help him, leave the thread.

OP - jailbreaking your iPad is the best way to add tabs and remove the artificial limit. There's no set number of tabs you can have - it depends entirely on the website and the content it has. The more images/media on a page, the more RAM it takes. You can theoretically keep adding tabs until your iPad runs out of memory and Safari crashes.

The same is likely for any third party apps, I would assume most would have a built in limitation to avoid this.