iPad 1 & iOS 52: multitouch gestures still missing

Discussion in 'iPad' started by innominato5090, Jun 25, 2011.

1. innominato5090 macrumors 6502

innominato5090

I've just installed beta 2 on my iPad 1 (registered developer, developing purpose, aware of bugs, blah blah) and multitouch gestures are missing. I've registered my iPad in Xcode's organizer, rebooted, still nothing.

could be multitouch gestures an iPad 2 only feature?
    the apple website doesn't state it on its website.
    http://sldn.info/DQQY

2. fruchtsaft macrumors newbie

3. Maziar macrumors 6502

I posted about this(w/beta 1) some weeks ago and no one seemed to care.
    Anyway,there are rumors that gestures will be missing for iPad 1 which is not a good sign.I don't see any reason why the iPad 1 can't have the gestures

4. innominato5090 thread starter macrumors 6502

innominato5090

exactly. I used them since their introduction ( iOS 4.2 maybe?) and they always worked flawlessly.
    I've read somewhere that it could be restored via jailbreak.
    I think I'll jailbreak, enable it, backup and than restore the original iOS. it ~should~ works.

5. innominato5090 thread starter macrumors 6502

innominato5090

6. mkaake macrumors 65816

I was hoping it was just a glitch / bug / oversight with beta 1... I use the gestures almost exclusively on my iPad, and if I had to go back to using the home button all the time, it would drive me nuts...

Here's to hoping it comes back in beta 3?

7. shandyman Suspended

judging by the fact it's not in beta 1 or 2 for the iPad 1, it's most certainly going to be an iPad 2 only feature. Apple have a track record of leaving some features out on an older generation device even tho it's been proven to run fine with it, this is nothing new.

8. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

I do find when you switch between apps on the iPad 1 some apps take a few seconds to respond. Maybe this a limitation of the iPad memory and the 512mb of the ipad2 makes it better. Maybe someone with both 1&2 can confirm.

That said it could be just my iPad as mine does tend to crash apps a fair bit.

9. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

Although I'm not on any of the beta software (running 4.3.3), I can say that apps do take a few seconds (1-3 seconds) to "resume" when using multitasking gestures. I'm sure this is because of the limitations of the A4 processor & 256mb of memory vs. the upgraded internals of the iPad2. However, it's not a big deal to me (heck, I still have iPhone 3G on ios4 mentality, so this speed is great to me, hahaha!).

If they don't have the gestures in the final release of iOS 5 for iPad 1, it'll just be released via jailbreak anyways, which I still will do for tethering purposes and other tweaks.