Ipad 1 ---> ipad 2 ( worth to switch? )

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Meric, May 2, 2011.

1. Meric macrumors regular

I been using my ipad 1 for almost 10 months and totally love it... Tested the ipad 2 side by side and Opening closing apps, web browsing...didnt really notice a speed difference...

Not into gaming...just read ebooks, email and web browsing...skype etc...

Did anybody make the switch from 1st gen to 2nd gen? I'd like to hear from you...

Anybody switched to Xoom from ipad 1?

It looks the camera will be the only benefit for me...

Thanks

2. GP_1 macrumors regular

There are a lot of threads on this man. Anyways sounds like you don't need to make the switch... Personally I love the iPad 2 and it was a lot faster IMO.

3. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

I am blown away by how thin and light the iPad 2 is, yet it does not feel cheap or weak in your hands. Even with my back cover on, it is very slim and sleek. Also, I skipped the iPad 1 because it had no cameras, so this was a welcome addition, even though they totally could have put that in the first one. My parents live far away, so video chat is a very important tool for them to be able to see our kids.

Apple stuff has good resale value. If you can get on Gazelle.com and sell your old one for a decent price, I say why NOT get an iPad 2. But if you don't care about video chat, it's probably not worth it.

4. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

I think it really depends on your usage. I am thinking about giving my iPad 1 to a family member, and I would then upgrade to iPad 2. The speed is noticeable, but more noticeable when you switch between apps, multitask, use pandora in the background, play games and for sure with safari (page reloads)

5. btownguy macrumors 6502a

This is timely as I traded in my iPad 1 for an iPad 2 this week. I can honestly say, despite what any reviews say, that the iPad 2 is a marked improvement. Not just for future stuff that will come and tax the internals. You can feel it now. Apps open and close so much SMOOTHER. One great test - load the Huffington Post app on both tablets. It is mega-jerky on the iPad 1 and super smooth on the iPad 2. Another great test - web browsing. I use Atomic web browser and like to have multiple open tabs. After a few tabs (maybe 5) iPad 1 reloads tabs and you may start getting low memory warnings (a feature of that web browser, not iOS). So for me, it just FEELS better. Sell your old one on Craigslist and shell out for the delta.

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Well you answered your own question. Just wait another year.

7. caf9128 macrumors member

I'd wait. I held out for an iPad 2, mainly because of the cameras. But the cameras have turned out be so crappy that I end up using my laptop or desktop for skyping instead. The next gen will almost certainly have better cameras. Maybe Apple will spend $8 a pair instead of the $4 they spent on the ones in the iPad 2.

And the resolution on the iPad screen is still suboptimal, in my opinion. The smaller fonts on most webpages have jagging to them that is quite annoying. Supposedly iPad 3 will have much better screen resolution.

I can't speak to the speed of the iPad 2 over the iPad 1, but I find the iPad 2 to still be relatively sluggish when loading long webpages compared to my laptop on the same wifi connection.

8. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

I think you should upgrade...i'll buy your iPad 1 off of you for $150.

9. AldoRay macrumors member

I'm surprised you didn't notice a speed difference, I saw a big difference in speed running my original iPad next to my iPad 2. I never felt the original was slow in any way until I got the new one. I use my iPad a lot, and I'm glad I got the new one Even The Daily loads in what could be considered a reasonable amount of time. :)

10. King Ahab macrumors newbie

This. Start saving up for iPad 3 unless your iPad 1 isn't meeting your needs. It's not worth trading up if you don't need the extra capacity. Chances are by the time you begin to use more intensive software that requires more processing capacity than iPad 1 has, another upgraded iPad will either be on the scene or relatively close to release. I eagerly await the release of a higher resolution iPad.

11. 15danielp macrumors regular

I've had both. I only bought the iPad 2 because my iPad 1 broke (my fault). Honestly, for the reasons you use your iPad which are similar to mine, it would not be worth an upgrade.

12. macaddict3 macrumors member

13. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I upgraded for two main reasons. One is that the iPad 2 is noticeably faster for projecting complex Keynote presentations (animations, video, large images) on to a second display. The other is the full-system video mirroring via HDMI or VGA.

If I wasn't concerned with the above, I would have stayed with my original iPad, which I was otherwise perfectly happy with.

14. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

15. matt90036 macrumors regular

+1 on that
    Additionally ipad2 still has lots of quality control issues. Id rather wait few months until those are polished out or wait all together for something else.

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yes, apps open faster and swap a little more smoothly. Safari tabs don't reload as often, larger ebooks and pdf files respond more quickly, search is faster, etc.

But whether the improvements are worth $500-$830 (assuming you don't sell your iPad 1 to deflay some of the cost)? That, I feel is iffy. The only reason I'm keeping my iPad 2 instead of returning it and sticking with iPad 1 for another year is the thinner and lighter form factor. For me, it makes a lot of difference in holding it for longer periods of time, and also is easier to slip into bags to carry around. And I'm hooked on the auto on/off function of the Smart Cover -- would hate to have to go back to using the power button to sleep/wake the iPad. But again, is the convenience worth $830 (since I have the 64GB 3G)? I feel a bit guilty every time I think about the cost! :eek:

17. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

18. AppleMacDudeG4 macrumors member

Doesn't sound like you need to upgrade

I was reading the reasons that you are using your current iPad. It sounds from what you were saying that you do not have a compelling reason to buy the iPad2. I did not buy the first model (my iPad2 is my first iPad) and I enjoy using it to surf the web, check my email, and use Netflix, iBooks.

I would suggest that perhaps you wait till the next model before upgrading.

19. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

Yes

10charlimit

20. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

I had my ipad1 ~10 months and I sold it to get my new ipad2 and it's absolutely improved from the first and you should have figured comparing both together at a store would had been clear if it's important for you.

I found the ipad1 being gutless. I honestly didnt need the cameras but the power made it worth for me. Even if this current released retina then it still wouldn't have been important.

Next year ipad3 4G would still be worth for it. :) power>*

21. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Did the upgrade from 1 to 2 (and gave the 1 to my wife so everyone's happy :D ) and for me it's absolutely worth it. I was noticing a lot of instances where the iPad 1 bogged down a bit. Not enough to break it, not even enough to cause serious problems, but when you're using it as your primary machine enough to be really annoying.

The extra grunt of the iPad 2 comes through in weird ways. As an example I visit one TV review site very regularly that allows animated GIFS in nested comments. On the first iPad I found it really bogged down, took a long time to load all the comments and generally wasn't much fun. The new model though just flys through it. If I was just using the iPad now and again it wouldn't have been enough but as it is it makes a huge difference.

Personally I also love the new design, it feels much nicer in the hand and, again, for a device that gets used a lot and is designed around the tactile experience, that's a big plus point.

22. lxylxy748 macrumors member

lxylxy748

buy it if you have extra money, you will definitely feel another experience.

23. Muscleflex macrumors 6502

nah - it's basically the same. camera is crap.
    i prefer the back of the ipad 1 to ipad 2 actually

24. btownguy macrumors 6502a

Apple hardware has good resale value. Get the iPad 2 now. Assuming you get the 16Gb wifi version ($499), you will likely be able to Gazelle or Craigslist it for $350 prior to the iPad 3 coming out. You can then upgrade to the iPad 3 for $150. Not bad for a full year of enjoying the iPad 2.