iPad 1 + iPhone 4s = enough?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tonyy, Oct 31, 2011.

1. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

Anyone currently use their iPad and iPhone at home without a laptop or desktop?

Of course if you do a lot of editing, writing, etc a laptop or desktop is a must. But I'm thinking of retiring my black MacBook and using my iPad only. Opinions?

2. Medic005 macrumors newbie

My laptop is basiclly collecting dust since about about March, when I picked up a used iPad 1. Now that there is no need to Sync on iTunes with a computer, I'll be passing the laptop down to my son.

I have an iPad 1 and an iPhone 4S, been using Documents To Go for anything that I need to put together. Might pickup Pages for some more creative documents.

3. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

You may aswell be asking everyone what you should pick as your favourite colour. Thats a completely personal choice.

4. tonyy thread starter macrumors 6502a

tonyy

I didn't ask if I should use my iPad over my laptop.

I asked for opinions of people who use their iPad and not a laptop/desktop daily and how it's working for them.

5. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

I have a MacBook, iPad 2, and iPhone 4. I rarely use my MacBook. I will still keep it for the few things iPads and iPhones can't do, but I think it will be a LONG time before I need a new laptop.

6. Liquidtrance macrumors member

I ended up selling my HP Laptop a few months after I purchased my iPad 1 as I was never using it.

I still have a Desktop PC though I use for Heavy Gaming and other misc things.

7. BanterClaus macrumors regular

BanterClaus

I don't have an iPad as of yet but I pretty much use my iPhone for a lot of stuff I used to do on my Mac. I only need my MacBook for CS5 and to play MMOs such as WoW.

8. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

I don't use my laptop as often but I can't sell it either 'cause I use it for iOS programming! :)

9. tonyy thread starter macrumors 6502a

tonyy

Plus, the battery life of the iPad would be so much better than a laptop battery. I've only been getting 2.5 hrs of battery life with consistent use on my MacBook.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You are incredibly vague regarding what you do with your computer. There is no way we could know if you could do it with the combo you mentioned.

Now it sounds like you already have an iPad. If so, simply don't use your MacBook for a month. If you never needed it during that month then get rid of it.

11. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

agree...+100

12. tonyy thread starter macrumors 6502a

tonyy

To reiterate, I did not ask what I should do with my laptop and if I would survive without it. I asked for opinions of the people who use their iPad as their main operating device at home.

Sure, I'm going to put my MacBook away and see how I like it with just my iPad and iPhone for awhile. This was for the sake of discussion and not me asking a public forum what I can/could/should/would do.

13. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

well if you were truly interested in having a discussion, you'd would need to tell us what tasks you use your ipad for.

there's not a lot to discuss in the absence of information.

14. Skream macrumors member

Put your macbook in the closet for 2 weeks. If in that 2 week you have no need to go and use it then yah you could probably live without it.

15. tonyy thread starter macrumors 6502a

tonyy

Thats what I'm probably going to do. I mainly just surf the web, Facebook, watch videos, and occasionally do word processing.

iPad fits that bill and I would most likely be fine without a laptop. Just wanted to see who else was doing this.

16. B.A.T macrumors 6502

It wouldn't hurt to buy a wireless keyboard for the times you need to do a lot of typing.