iPad 1 laggy after installing ios5?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rbkhockey83, Nov 3, 2011.

1. rbkhockey83 macrumors member

Hi guys, I installed ios5 on my mom's iPad 1, ever since then has been slow and laggy (for weeks now) for example it takes a few seconds to use safari after opening the app, and the weather app keeps crashing. Also lag when swiping between screens and every app takes a long time to open.

I reinstalled ios5 once a few weeks ago, and I have "hard restarted it" (home button + sleep button restart) multiple times. I've also tried emptying the multi tasking tray.

What should I do? I think it is set to "iCloud backup", should I change it to iTunes backup? Problem with that is my parents use Win XP (lol) and the computer their iTunes is on is pretty slow. Are there any other settings I should change? Do any of you have this problem? My mom isn't very patient with it, she bought the ipad because she wanted something thats was quicker to access then a laptop for around the kitchen and living room. Now she wants to break the thing whenever she uses it.

Thanks for the help,
    Sean

2. kage207 macrumors 6502a

Hola! Well I have a 1st gen iPad 32GB WiFi model. The only time I have noticed problems with my iPad is that Safari has crashed more then ever for me, which still isn't too often (5 times since launch of iOS5).

Questions:
    Have you updated the apps to make sure they are iOS 5 compatible?
    Have you restored and made it a new device? (Because restoring from backup will only throw the software problem right back on.)

Besides that, STOP with the hard resets. You can cause corruption to the software as that is designed only for a total system crash/freeze. Other than that a simple restart is fine for normal problems such as yours.