iPad 1 loosing charge in standby

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nph, May 8, 2012.

1. nph macrumors 6502a

I am loosing almost 10% when in standby over night.
    Any suggestion on action I can take?
    It is an original iPad and has had no other problem so far. Great quality, 32G w 3G (used only when traveling and then I use a prepaid SIM)

Thanks

2. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Well, the iPad 1 is about 2 years old at this point. It could be that the battery is just no good anymore. I believe that if you take it to Apple, they charge you a battery replacement fee and give you another iPad.

3. cord macrumors newbie

4. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

Battery usage is normal even when in standby. Even though the screen is off, doesn't mean the device is off. When in standby, the iPad is doing little things, like trying to keep track of the time (we all know the iPad1 fails miserably at this), checking the internet for its apps like email, etc. Putting it in Airplane Mode will make the battery last longer. I haven't used my iPad 1 since I got my iPad 3 a month ago, yet I've kept it in standby (screen off) in airplane mode and I checked it last night and the battery is currently at 40%.

So even though the screen is off, the iPad is still ON.

5. nph thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I know but loosing 10% per night to me is way too much.
    I have 3G and GPS as well as push services OFF.
    Hm... How do you rank your new iPad 3 vs the 1?
    I am thinking about upgrading.

6. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

The 1 is still a great tablet, but the 3 blows it away in every way except for the speaker. I think the 1 has a better speaker layout, mainly because the 3's speaker points away from you, which is the dumbest thing ever. The sound is quiet unless you have something behind the iPad 3 to bounce the sound off of. The 1 can be a little slow doing some things, and has issues playing certain games like GTA3. But overall, its still a great tablet.

I love the 3 though, don't regret the purchase one bit. There is a downside to the retina screen, and I'm not talking about the tinting. Its that nothing else on the web is retina-ready. Non-retina pictures look like they do on the previous iPads, like poo. Font looks great, but pictures look pixelated unless they are 2048x2048 or bigger. Retina-ready apps look pretty awesome though.

7. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I had this issue when my router got flaky. Replaced the router and the iPad drain stopped.