iPad 1 map inaccurate (could be temporary)

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Corkey, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Corkey, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014

Corkey macrumors newbie

Today while programming the ipad 1 map, the mapped path fell short of the desired destination. Fell short by about 8 miles!.

For instance, if I located a destination then pressed the pin point, I would get a button that asked, "Directions to here?" I would press Yes, and the right path would be drawn.

But today the blue line was drawn from my current location to another location about 8 miles away!

And here's the kicker! I have two ipad 1's. And I checked the same point-to-point directions on the second ipad. It is giving me the exact wrong directions!

It's important to know here that is I input an address the pin point will show the correct location but then when I request directions to that point is when it goes off kilter.

What's this all about??

2. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

is the destination right?? or is your location wrong???

i don't know about wrong destinations or incorrect destinations to a destination

but if your location is wrong. well thats wifi location for you.

unless you have a gps enabled iPad 1 (cellular model)

reboot ipad ?? try a different wifi network? close maps and reload?

3. Corkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, its the Wi-Fi + 3G and gps enabled.

Have had the ipad since 2010 and have used it successfully in hundreds of trips as my only gps. It has gotten me out of jams when I made a wrong turn or sought a shortcut. Much better and bigger than a regular gps unit in my opinion. Would hate to see the app stay like this!

4. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

good its the gps one

well hmmm

your streaming the map or downloading chunks of the map or caching it over the net. the map in the iPad isn't permanently stored on the device. maybe this is a bug, you put a push pin in the map app and the map refreshing causes the push pin to move. thats a good guess. instead of using pushpins , maybe you should try using contracts to store names and addresses?

is the directions getting wrong , when you type in someone address manually?

maybe submit this into maps feedback in a detailed message

https://www.apple.com/feedback/maps_ios.html

5. Corkey, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2014

Corkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Here is an screen grab (with my added texts)

Take a look at this image. Have you ever seen something like this?

Haywire Map!

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

What app is that, doesn't look like Apple Maps?

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

As it's an iPad 1 which is limited to iOS 5, it's probably Google Maps (I haven't seen the iPad version so that's just a guess).