iPad 1 -> new iPad setup questions

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pdawg, Mar 13, 2012.

1. pdawg macrumors regular

Sorry if this is repetitive or basic. This is my first "upgrade" of one device to another vs just buying for the first time.

Before starting, I will completely shut down iPad 1, to not complicate anything.

I expect that setting up this new iPad on Friday will follow the basic procedures of adding a new device: turning on, doing the typical time zone settings, plugging into iTunes on laptop, follow the prompts, etc...... No idea how long this will all take (I am currently backing up to the cloud).

Then I assume after the new iPad has everything the old one had, I do the steps for unlimited data (which there are several threads about, so no need to repeat!).

Finally I turn back on the original iPad 1 and doing the data plan change (sign up as new device with different email address and pick whatever limited plan I need).

Is there anything I left out? Thanks all!

2. amro macrumors 6502

I too, am going from iPad 1 to new iPad. For the most part, I'm counting on iCloud to populate my new iPad with contacts, calendars, reminders, bookmarks, notes. Movies, music and TV shows will be done through iTunes.

I don't know if iCloud will install my apps. I think that would have to be done through an iTunes restore.

3. sarahlizzy macrumors newbie

Don't use iCloud, you'll be there all day.

Plug in your iPad 1. From the device menu in iTunes (secondary click on your iPad in the panel on the left), backup your iPad.

When the backup finsihes, plug the new iPad in. When it asks if your want to restore from that backup, say yes.

Go and make a cup of tea and a sandwich. Your new iPad should be a clone of your old one.