iPad 1 Not charging sometimes

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by salilsundresh, May 10, 2012.

1. salilsundresh, May 10, 2012
    Last edited: May 10, 2012

salilsundresh macrumors 6502

After the iOS5 update (now on 5.0.1) I've been having problems charging my iPad 1 (as many others have). SOMETIMES I can get it to charge using a cable other than the $20 Apple one but usually it doesn't work. Even my Apple iPhone charging cable doesn't work anymore. What gives? It used to work so these cables are clearly capable of handling the extra current the iPad draws. Also, my iPad refuses to charge via anything except the Apple wall charger after the update. How can I fix this? I've just about had it with waking up to find my iPad hasn't charged.

ALSO: I use USB extension cables running from my wall chargers to my bed and my iPad will NOT charge if I use an extension anymore. It's really annoying having to be huddled up near a wall to use my iPad while it charges.

2. craig45 macrumors member

Isn't this normal? I believe the iPad usually only charges from the larger iPad wall charger. The iPhone wall charger, nor the USB output from most computers, have enough amperage to charge the iPad. (might charge very slowly if asleep)

3. salilsundresh thread starter macrumors 6502

No, there are plenty of ways out there for charging an iPad at 2ah (if the charger has the appropriate resistance on the data lines and the circuit can handle 2A) besides using an Apple's charger...until now.