iPad 1 Now or iPad 2 Later? I decided NOW

Discussion in 'iPad' started by redman042, Nov 19, 2010.

  1. redman042 macrumors 68030


    Jun 13, 2008
    The title is slightly misleading - I'm actually talking about what I decided regarding buying one for my wife. I've had my own 32 GB 3G model since May.

    Anyway, I see a lot of people waiting on the iPad 2, and hoping for huge upgrades like a retina display. Here's my opinion - just food for thought.

    If I told my wife to wait, she'd be waiting 5 months or more. This assumes they'd release the iPad 2 in late April, which is pretty much the consensus. That's a lot of weeks lost not enjoying her iPad. I think that is a big consideration. Heck, even if the iPad 2 is so much better that we decide to upgrade and sell the old ones on eBay (a net cost of about $200 each I'd guess), it might be well worth the added $200 for 5 months of iPad use, don't you think?

    My second thought is that I don't think the iPad 2 is going to be that big of an upgrade. Here's why. First, the iPad 1 is selling very, very well. There is a lot of competition popping up, but the tech blog reviews I've seen indicate a lot of shortcomings on these competing devices, particularly lack of tablet-optimized app selection compared to the iPad (by a huge margin). I don't see the competition being a serious factor for about another year. IMO a moderate upgrade is all Apple needs next year to keep their momentum going.

    Next, Apple's pattern with iOS devices seems to be major upgrades every other year. Disregarding iPhone 1, which was their first real foray into mobile, the iPhone 3GS was a moderate upgrade to the 3G. This happened in spite of the rising of Android as a competitor, and people saying that Apple had to hit one out of the park to stay on top. In reality they had more time than that. Then the following year, the iPhone 4 was released and it was a huge upgrade.

    Likewise, I expect the iPad 2 to add a few things like Facetime cameras, perhaps 512MB memory, and a few other tweaks. Nothing more. The iPad 3, however, will be a big design change.

    I don't expect a retina display. In my mind there are serious cost and technical hurdles with that kind of density on that size screen. I just don't see it, not this soon. I also don't see them tossing another curve ball at app developers at this stage. Just my opinion.

    My wife and I have iPhone 4's, so Facetime is covered. Therefore, for me it was an easy decision to go with an iPad 1 now rather than wait 5 months for the 2. I'll add that I believe the iPad can be improved mostly through software upgrades, and we're already going to get that with iOS 4. It will only keep going from there.
  2. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

    Don Kosak

    Mar 12, 2010
    Hilo, Hawaii
    I think in your case you made the right decision.

    Facetime might be a big reason to wait, but if you've got iPhone 4's or iPod Touch 4th gen., you are covered.

    I also suspect that iPad version 2 will be a small incremental bump over iPad 1. The competition hasn't really caught up to the iPad 1 yet, with their higher costs, poor software, and smaller screens.

    I think Apple will be forced to make bigger changes in iPad 3, as by then there will be more competition in the space. So, my strategy, like yours, is to buy odd numbered versions.
  3. MsMerryMac macrumors regular

    Apr 4, 2010
    Good choice and for good reasons. After I got mine and heard 2nd gen is supposedly around the corner, I panicked for about five minutes. Yes, a camera may be coming - don't need or want that. It may be thinner - I'm not really thrilled with how thin they made the new Touch and would have preferred it to be more like the iPhone4. Retina display? Yes, that would be a great upgrade but doesn't affect my usage really all that much (I wear glasses anyway so, eh). I'm very happy that I did not wait and am enjoying the heck out of it. Glad you're not making the wife wait!
  4. RedRobotWeb macrumors newbie

    Feb 3, 2010
    I was faced with this dilemma. Decided on now. I've had one since Monday and I love it. :D
  5. redman042 thread starter macrumors 68030


    Jun 13, 2008
    I read that "thinner case" rumor too but I don't believe it. This soon?

    What also came to mind is that the 1st gen iPhone has arguably the best build quality with the aluminum back, and from there Apple went with a less-expensive plastic body (iPhone 4 excluded). I worry a little that the iPad might go through the same thing, which would mean that the 1st gen might be the one to own from that point of view.
  6. redman042 thread starter macrumors 68030


    Jun 13, 2008
    It's pretty unbeatable isn't it?

    Remember, if the iPad 2 is THAT much better, eBay is your friend. iOS devices have terrific resale value.
  7. nutmac macrumors 68040

    Mar 30, 2004
    Having used iPad with 4.2.x firmware, I am inclined to wait, especially since update is expected in about 3 months. While Retina display is highly unlikely, CPU, GPU, memory, and/or storage increases are. Not to mention other possibilities such as decreased weight, camera, 3G as standard feature (or at least CDMA+GSM combo), and integrated USB port.
  8. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

    Amazing Iceman

    Nov 8, 2008
    Florida, U.S.A.
    Rumors, rumors and more rumors. But if these are true, excellent! I would sell my iPad and buy the new one if it's worth it.
  9. nutmac macrumors 68040

    Mar 30, 2004
    Saying "CPU, GPU, memory, and/or storage increases" are highly likely isn't a rumor, it's stating the obvious.
  10. Dias macrumors 6502

    Sep 16, 2007
    Two months ago I'd probably had told you not to wait, but now we're probably 2-3 months away from the new one, so...
  11. thegurio macrumors newbie

    Nov 20, 2009
    I personally pulled the trigger about 2 months ago - the wife was very much against "another" gadget in the house but we were on holidays and she crumbled, and of course now i can't get it out of her hands to use it myself!

    Now the only time the net book comes out is when i have to do end of month account fixups or similar, everything else is done on the Pad and it is sooo much easier.

    For me I wouldn't bother upgrading for a FaceTime camera - I spend about 10 days a month way and have only used it on the very first trip with the iPhone4. I agree with the above re: Retina Display. I imagine at this time it's too expensive to put a display this size out in the mass market. I think, certainly in my usage, that more memory is sorely needed. As for disk space, there will always be people that need more, for me personally, the only thing I fil it up with are movies and once you've watched them you don't really need to keep them on it. What I would like is an easier way to get movies on it rather than through iTunes - if I could have some sort of interface, even if it is an Apple propietry plug, so i can fill that with kids movies etc, and then play them without having to put them on.

    I would imagine apple would have had it's upgrade path well and truly outlined even before it came out. And ther would be technology in those rooms that would make us weep!

    So there's my shortlist, about the only thing i want is more memory, but I'm glad i didn't wait as the same things always happen, you wait for the new one then a week later theres a rumor so you hold off etc. And the cycle continues!
  12. wesrk macrumors 6502a

    Nov 4, 2007
    Buy when you need is the most conscious choice. Of course, if you follow the forums and kind of need one but are almost certain that a new version will be introduced within the next few weeks you could just wait it out.

    Ipad 2 or whatever ends up being the name will come about a year after the first one so 5 months versus now if you need one is still a win for now.

Share This Page