iPad 1 or 2

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by starvingartist8, Sep 11, 2011.

1. starvingartist8 macrumors regular

I want to get an iPad for zinio, pdf reading, email, forums and just wondering if there would be a difference in performance between the two models for what I will be using it for. I understand the ipad2 is lighter for easier for reading.

Is the screen better in the ipad2 compared to the ipad1?

Also, which size would be recommended to get. I am going to get 1 magazine from zinio each month. I will not fill it with music or movies and only a few pdfs

2. Liquinn Suspended

The iPad 2 doesn't seem much different to the iPad 1, only a bit thinner, lighter etc. I own the iPad 1, I suggest you get the iPad 2 or wait for the iPad 3 (which won't be until 8 months time or something). The iPad 2 should be slightly faster than the iPad 1.

Cheers,

3. starvingartist8 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I was wanting to get a refurb but the Australia Refurb store doesn't have much left. Nothing that suits me anyway (don't want 3g).

By the way. The refurb store says the outer shell and battery is replaced. Does the outer shell replacement include the glass?

4. E.Lizardo macrumors 65816

Not sure,but you can rest assured that it will be indistinguishable from new glass if not.

5. AndyfromTucson macrumors member

If you are trying to get the best value for your money (i.e. spend the least for acceptable results) then I would get the iPad 1. The iPad 2 is lighter and a bit faster, but for your uses I think the 1 would work.

If you are not going to save music or movies on it the 16 GB should be fine. When I got the iPad 1 I got the 32 GB version, but when I got the iPad 2 I got the 16 GB version because I realized that I didn't need much storage because I wasn't saving movies or music on it.

6. palpatine macrumors 68040

I bought the iPad1 shortly after the iPad2 came out, because the price had dropped, and I was mainly looking for an e-reader. Since then, I have ended up using the iPad a lot more for content creation, and it has kept up fine.

The one caveat I would add is that the iPad1 has less RAM, and this may be the reason why some of the PDFs I have crashed. I do not know the reason exactly, but there seems to be something incompatible in PDFs that I have scanned at anything other than B/W settings (Grayscale or Color). I don't have a whole lot of these, and it is easily remedied by optimizing the files for earlier versions of Adobe (something you can do if you have Adobe Acrobat Pro on your computer). The only time this really becomes a problem is when I am away from my computer with an unoptimized file (downloaded from the web or mistakenly uploaded in that way by me).

If I could go back in time and do it again, I would have just bought the iPad2, because it can read files my iPad1 cannot (I tested it), and it turns out that I now do most of my work on the iPad, so I could use something a little faster.

As for size, I'd probably pick the 16GB again, but I could also justify a 32GB purchase for my needs. It depends a lot on how you use services like Dropbox and what kind of access to the Internet you think you will have on a daily basis.

7. starvingartist8 thread starter macrumors regular

I have been watching the AU refurb store but I only see ipad1s there. Is there occasionally Ipad2s as well and how often do they show up?

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The iPad 2's have started showing up in the refurb sections but they're of such limited quantity that they disappear pretty quickly.

9. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

iPad1 will easily do everything you want. Get a refurbed 16GB Wi-Fi and save a (metric) ton of cash.

10. Amerabian macrumors regular

I personally would get the iPad2 because I like to video chat over Skype.

Can't do that with an iPad1 without looking like an idiot staring at the back of the iPad :D

11. thrill5one6 macrumors regular

thrill5one6

iPad2 feels much more portable. Huge difference in feel. I have the iPad 1 but I think I would use the iPad 2 more because of the small size

12. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

For the tasks you mentioned, there will be negligible performance difference between iPad 1 and iPad 2. iPad 2 is lighter and thinner which makes it portable.

Both have the same IPS LCD screen, its the same.

Regarding size, 16GB should be sufficient for you.

You're talking about iPhone 4, not iPad.

Both iPads have 1024x768 pixel IPS LCD display.