Ipad 1 or 2?

mrtydbowl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Georgia
Im a senior in high school and will be going off to collage this fall. My brother is in collage now and has a tablet and say that it is extreamly handy for notes and other things in class and studying. I want to get an Ipad but i really dont want to spend $400 on a ipad 2, is the first ipad that much worse then the second?

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Im a senior in high school and will be going off to collage this fall. My brother is in collage now and has a tablet and say that it is extreamly handy for notes and other things in class and studying. I want to get an Ipad but i really dont want to spend $400 on a ipad 2, is the first ipad that much worse then the second?
If all you're going to do is take notes, and iPad 1, a good note app like noteshelf, penultimate, etc.. and a nice stylus to write with should be all you need.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
If the ipad 2 is as fast as the old iphone 4 then go with the ipad 2

If the ipad 1 is as slow as the iphone 3g dont buy that one

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
wait for the iPad 3 to launch today, then get a huge discount on the iPad 2.
the iPad 1 is 3 years old and won't be supported much longer.

ktmracer350

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
The iPad 1 is not even two years old and I would just go with an iPad 2 after the iPad 3 releases or if you're on an extremely low budget then an iPad 1.

mrtydbowl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Georgia
Thats what i was thinking, i hope the price will drop a good $50 when the ipad 3 launches, i might just have to give it a few weeks.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
I'm hoping you spelled "college" correctly on your collage applications.

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
Once the 2's are on clearance the price differential likely wont be huge, so you may as well go with a 2.

Or if you wait until closer to fall semester start, there's a chance the third gen's will be available as refurbs. I believe it was late August for the 2's to hit the refurb store.

BTW, not to go grammar Nazi on you, but I did have to chuckle at your brother being in collage. That would be a little different from being in college. :D

mel0

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2012
Do not get an iPad 1. They're not even shipped to be sold anymore.

iPad 2 might have a drastic price drop today as the iPad 3 is coming out. WAIT A COUPLE HOURS, then decide.

jclardy

macrumors 68040
Oct 6, 2008
If you can get an iPad 2 I would definitely do it. Will last at least a year longer in terms of software updates, and for just RAM alone (512MB vs 256MB) I would upgrade as it just feels so much faster and smoother.

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
Do not get an iPad 1. They're not even shipped to be sold anymore.
Ummm... They are sold still as refurbs, full one year warranty.
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

iPad 2 might have a drastic price drop today as the iPad 3 is coming out. WAIT A COUPLE HOURS, then decide.
and so they did...

iPad2 16GB Wifi refurbs for $350 shipped as I thought. $399 is new price for the still being sold 16GB iPad2 Wifi. I picked up an openbox 16GB wifi from Best Buy today for $350 as a gift to a family member.