iPad 1 or iPad 2 for my dad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Diamons, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Diamons macrumors newbie

My dad's kind of elderly and I'm a 17 year old with a part time job. Right now, I'll have $300ish this Thursday with my paycheck.

I want to buy my dad an iPad. I can get an iPad 1 mint condition for $300 easy. However, I don't know if it's worth it to wait for my next paycheck (2 weeks after) for the iPad 2.

My dad will use the iPad for the following:

-web (real estate, eBay, shopping, news)
    -email

That's it. My brother might want to play a game or something on it and my mom might watch netflix on it but otherwise there won't be any camera use or anything like that.

2. jamied95 macrumors 6502

He'll be fine with the iPad 1 as long as he isn't trying to browse 3 or 4 pages at the same time in which case he could do with the iPad 2.

3. hismikeness macrumors regular

How "elderly" could your dad possibly be if you're 17? 67, tops?

Really, iPad 1 probably works for those tasks. Does he really want one or will it be a surprise, and maybe beyond his frail and withered ability? If it has the potential to go to waste as a gift, get the one that screws your little brother the hardest. So, the 1.

Unless you'd inherit it once dad goes to hospice care. Then get the 2. :D

4. Diamons thread starter macrumors newbie

Seems kind of like a bad situation lol. What do you mean? Does the ipad get sluggish? Does it crash?

5. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

My dad is 85. He has had the iPad 1 for almost a year. Uses it for Safari, email and mainly as a reader. Occasionally watches a movie on Netflix or video on YouTube. He loves it, takes it with him everywhere, no desire for iPad 2, does everything he wants it to do.

If you don't think he will want the camera for Facetime, then iPad 1 should be fine.

6. MaxxTraxx macrumors 6502

I've got 5 pages running right now and Pandora playing in the background, I don't even notice a difference.

Go with the iPad, good value for your money.

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Check the Apple site for a refurbished iPad 1.

8. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Get the iPad 1 for him now....and start saving your money to update him to the iPad 3 when it is available!

9. macrat macrumors regular

If it's only a two week difference, get the iPad 2 - it's brand new and it's likely your Dad will keep this for a long time regardless of future magical enhancements of iPad 3 and beyond. He will also like the lighter weight of the iPad 2.

When he gets to be a grandpa ( even though you're only 17 now) he will love the Facetime feature! My wife is 67 and she was computer/internet illiterate just over a year ago and but now loves her iPad 2 and uses it all the time.

I suspect that the iPad is so popular because this type of customer base is the large slice of the pie that the competition overlooked in the past. :D

10. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Your elderly dad (what is he, 49?), will love an iPad 1. I don't think there is any age limit at all for an iPad. My mother is 83 and would love one. I may buy her one. Go for it! :D

11. Technohead macrumors newbie

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

Thanks for the laugh!

12. taipan61 macrumors 6502

the selling point on which to get my 82 year old mother in law was facetime.
    see loves seeing the grandkids live and is waiting to see the great-grandkids in the near future.
    she said the first time she used it that it reminded her of "Dick Tracy" and some of the other science fiction she grew up with...

so IMHO iPad 2

13. Cosmo Kramer macrumors member

I got my mom an iPad 2 and she loves it :D she uses it for mostly book reading so I figured the less weight would make a big difference in comfort for her

14. blueprint1983 macrumors 6502

15. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

The iPad 1 will be great for your dad. What a good son!

16. baconroll macrumors member

I bought a refurbished iPad 1 two days ago from the Apple Store online for a cheap price and I couldn't be happier with it. It has everything I need, I love Garageband on it, I watch movies, check emails, surf etc. This is more than enough for my needs and I've saved myself quite a bit of cash. Was tempted to go for the iPad 2, and although it is lighter and faster I couldn't justify the extra cash.

Oh, forgot to mention - came in a plain white box with iPad on it and tbh, you couldn't tell it apart from a brand new one. Immaculate condition, no marks or nothing so I'm guessing they put a new outer shell on it.