Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Just1nCase

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
My buddy of mine is planning to sell his 16GB iPad 1 for $200 to me—which is a great deal, but how long will it last hardware-wise until I need to update. Or, am I better off using my money to get a new iPad 2?

I'm planning to use this iPad for: videos, web browsing, email, gaming, as well as checking out some of the new design apps from Adobe, and use it as a design portfolio for clients. I don't have a laptop either so this will come in handy when I'm away from iMac.

What are your thoughts?

Brazzy

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2011
i use my ipad 1 all the time and it has held up great. I've had it since like may may 2010, and I really don't see myself upgrading for at least another 2-3 years. seriously, this thing works great.

$200 is a great deal. i say go for it.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Take it.

Its a frickin good deal.

If you dont need to take pictures with your iPad then the iPad 2 is basically useless. iPad one works just as well.

I'll keep my iPad 1 maybe until the iPad 4 comes out or something...

Just1nCase

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
I doubt I'll ever need a camera on my iPad since I already have a great compact Point and Shoot camera that takes better photos.

So, I'm sold! Thanks for your guys feedback! I appreciate it.

Just to confirm: the new iOS 5 coming out soon will work with the iPad 1, correct?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
A Buddy

My buddy of mine is planning to sell his 16GB iPad 1 for $200 to me—which is a great deal, but how long will it last hardware-wise until I need to update. Or, am I better off using my money to get a new iPad 2?

I'm planning to use this iPad for: videos, web browsing, email, gaming, as well as checking out some of the new design apps from Adobe, and use it as a design portfolio for clients. I don't have a laptop either so this will come in handy when I'm away from iMac.

What are your thoughts?

Is still using his ipad1 works and looks great.....Go for it, it's a great deal!

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
I doubt I'll ever need a camera on my iPad since I already have a great compact Point and Shoot camera that takes better photos.

Just to confirm: the new iOS 5 coming out soon will work with the iPad 1, correct?

Yep. October 12.

RayK

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Kind of wish I'd bought a iPad 1 now and saved the money. Oh well. The 2 is great for all the games I play

Akack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2011
USA
Have a ipad 1 and just picked up a ipad 2 off craigslist.

I was one of those that didn't think the upgraded specs on the ipad 2 was worth the upgrade from the one. I have no use for the camera and the light weight/thin form was not a factor.

Since my main use was for internet browsing and light games, the upgrade in processor speed in the ipad 2 was defn worth it and quite noticeable. Everything feels much snappier/smoother on the ipad 2.

DNAppleGold

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2009
I have an Ipad1 and it's still the fastest computer I have. I love it. And $200 is a great deal (refurbished ones are $300 on apple.com). That being said, there are some things you can't do already, and there will be more of this as time goes by. (Imovie I think. My Djay app works but some functions are turned off). Unless these limits are important to you, I might grab the $200 IP1 and upgrade later.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011

What are your thoughts?
You can never have too much power or space for games and Adobe apps. Your call though.

climber20

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2011

Yup. I've had iOS 5 gold master installed on mine for a few days. Works flawlessly.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
iOS 5 works great with the iPad 1, it just has some sporadic episodes when it takes couple seconds to respond. That may not be a big deal, but one thing that bothers me a little is that it runs low on App Memory (RAM) with certain frequency. It could be caused by apps that do not returned allocated RAM back to the OS after closing, or similar problem. Nothing that a soft-reset wouldn't fix.

I would go for the iPad 2, but when an iPad 1 goes for $200, it's a steal.

It should serve you well for a while, and then again, the iPad 3 is about 7 months away, at least you'll and an iPad to use in the meantime, without breaking your bank.

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Texas
The 200 is good deal def but having used the iPad 1 and now with the 2, I definitely can tell the difference. Especially in web browsing.

Either way you can't lose. :)

truthiness

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008
Concur iOS5 works great on iPad 1.

What do you think a fair price for an iPad 1, 64GB with 3G would be?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.