iPad 1 or iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mac.junkie, Jan 10, 2012.

1. mac.junkie macrumors member

mac.junkie

I want an iPad for business/professional use, mostly so I can go paperless in meetings: take notes, modify/create agendas, etc. I'd also like to go paperless and use it as an ereader for my WSJ subscription and other news outlets. And, I'm starting graduate school in fall so eventually want to use it for taking notes in class. I have an iPhone 4 that I FaceTime with, although admittedly it's not a frequent occurrence, and use as my camera. I've decided to buy a refurb'd iPad from Apple but not sure if I should get a 1 or a 2. I definitely want a 3G iPad, no matter the iteration, and will use Dropbox, so 16g will be fine.

So... I can buy a refurb'd 1 for $399 or a refurb'd 2 for $549, both 16g 3G. Is it silly to buy a 1 at this stage of the game, when the 2's have probably reached their "end of life" in the product lifecycle? I won't buy a 3, or 2s, when they're released, so it's either a 1 or 2. Any advice?

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Get the 2.
    IOS5 is probably the last OS for the first iPad.
    The 2 is much faster.

3. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

I would recommend the iPad2 then. I have had my hands on both (I originally bought the iPad for my mom and helped her upgrade to the 2 in exchange for me keeping the iPad 1.

The iPad2 is just way more sexy, has better junk in the trunk and will be supported a bit longer than the original.

I think you will regret getting the original over the 2. Don't get me wrong, I love my lil iPad, but I would trade in a heartbeat if offered.

4. mac.junkie thread starter macrumors member

mac.junkie

Pretty cool of mom. :) Maybe you'll get your 2 as a hand-me-down when the 3 (or 2s) is released.

5. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

6. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

The iPad 2 is no doubt a little faster in use and in app switching etc. But for the possible cost differences I think the iPad 1 is still a contender. . . .

It may be a little slower, and it may not be supported with the latest and greatest OS for as long as the iPad 2. But Considering the bargains that can be had these days on eBay etc I think the iPad 1 is worth considering.

For example I recently bought my second iPad 1 (64GB 3G) for £300 in perfect refurbished condition with 6 months seller guarantee.

Now considering how much I carry the thing around at work, on site, on Holliday etc etc I will be much less troubled if I drop/break an iPad that cost me £300 than if I did so with an iPad 2 at twice the cost!

That said, the price difference you mentioned is less substantial. . . . Maybe a cheaper iPad 1 can be found than what you've seen?

Just my view.

7. pandamonia macrumors 6502a

Ipad 1 sucks.

i sold it within 2 months.

Was slow and laggy and my iphone 4 made it look out of date as soon as i got it.

2 is better with more RAM and better CPU/GPU but the screen is still poor compared to the iPhone 4.

wait for 3 it could be better.

8. iWantThat macrumors member

You really went out on a limb with that one. Anyways go with the 2. I saw a drastic difference between iOS 5 with the a5 chip as opposed to the a4.

9. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

LOL Pretty cool of mom since I paid for 3/4 of it and she got the product ;)

No, I figure that when the iPad3 comes along, I will take the leap and get it myself. Unless somehow she talks me into the same deal but I am not making as much money as I was when I did that trade the last time haha.

Mom can get her own iPad3 :D

10. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

iPad 1 hasn't really held up, speed wise, with iOS 5 on it. I don't know why. iOS 5 runs quite well on an iPhone 3GS (better than iOS 4), but the update really seemed to hinder the iPad 1. No one wants a sluggish device so I'd say get the iPad 2. I also love having the smart cover.

11. joshuaginter macrumors regular

I had the original iPad for 6 months. Sold it because it couldn't handle email in iOS 4.3. It could barely handle the websites I wanted to use with it as well. Told myself I would never buy an iPad again.

Turns out I got an iPad 2 for Christmas. And I can't put it down. It's easier to hold. It's faster. It has cameras (which are much nicer to use for FaceTime than the iPhone 4) and the battery life destroys my laptop.

You would be kicking your own butt if you bought a first generation iPad.

12. pooryou macrumors 65816

I use an iPad 1 bought on day 1, and it is still great and useful but it is seriously lacking in RAM.

I wouldn't bother with 3G but you seem pretty sold on that I guess.

13. roberthodgson macrumors regular

Get the IPad 2 3G if you are going to use it for business I would recommend the 3G as you will allways have a data connection. I use mine all the time as when you are at a clients and need to get info or email an invoice you do not have to worry if they have a wifi connection you can use.

You can also use the 3G on the go if you are on a train or passenger in a car the time you save by being able to answer emails or send info on the go pays the difference in the cost very quickly.

14. felixgun macrumors member

I would definitely buy the iPad 2. I have an iPad 1 because I bought it right when it came out and I am waiting for iPad 3 due in a few months. The iPad 2 is lighter, thinner, and faster. It also has a webcam for facetime and can take photos.