iPad 1 owners considering 2 over 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TWO2SEVEN, Feb 7, 2012.

1. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I bought my original iPad a few months before the 2 came out. I knew the two was coming soon, but wanted an iPad for an upcoming vacation.

After a year or so I've decided I would prefer 3G over wifi only, and I would be ok with the 16gb over the 32.

I will be upgrading my iPad once the new model comes out. If all or most of the rumored improvements turn out to be true, and the price points stay the same (or the upgrades justify any price increase) I will most likely go with the iPad 3.

However, if the 2 gets the rumored price drop, and the 3 doesn't take a huge leap (for my needs), I may end up going with a 16 or 32gb 3G iPad 2.

Anyone else thinking along these lines?

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

Logically speaking, it would make no sense for Apple to sell the iPad 2 for $499.99 if the iPad 3 is released at the same price. The reason for the price drop is to empty out the inventory such that new devices can be sold and old can be sold out. Nonetheless, the new is likely to sport a faster, yet better, processor which is likely to come in handy with future OS updates.
    Will the 3 last forever? No. After a year or so of 3's release, a 4 will be released and the cycle will continue until:
    a. Apple decides to stop selling it
    b. the world ends
    c. some other misc. reason
    That being said, I believe the 3 will be a better buy as you will not only have the latest technology, but will be able to resell it at a better price than the 2 prior to (and after) 4's release.

3. TWO2SEVEN thread starter macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I am about 98% I will be getting the newest model, this thought just popped in my head the other day and I was curious if I was the only one. :)

I try to be on an "every other" cycle with gadgets. For example I had the iPhone 3G, skipped the 3GS, bought the 4, and will skip the 4s to wait for whatever is next.

4. saberahul macrumors 68040

Sounds like a logical trend to me.

5. mikepro macrumors 6502

You can get a refurbished iPad2 right now at a pretty good discount. I don't see them keeping the 2 around with the 3 here. I think that only makes sense for subsidized offerings like phones, where being able to offer a free or discounted device opens up their market further. Since there is not much significant competition, I think offering a discounted iPad2 would dilute their brand and perceived value, so I don't think it will happen.

Just my opinion, I guess we'll see....

6. jsmith1 macrumors member

Not me, waiting for 3, no matter what price 2 goes to. Just wish it would hurry up.

7. eawmp1, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012

eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Specs of the 2 and 3 versus the price differential...that's the crux of my decision.

However, I've always felt Apple products are the best "value" at release day. I don't buy the latest and greatest every release, opting for the skipped generation releases. My iPad 1 is laggy and Safari crashes from the memory issue, so I'll be ordering the 3.

8. TWO2SEVEN thread starter macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

My thoughts exactly.

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

helps when the phone contracts are for 2 years

10. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

No, not really. I'm going to upgrade from iPad 1 to iPad 2. The third generation iPad must be a real disappointment if I believe the iPad 3 isn't worth it (e.g. same internals, same design except for perhaps new cameras and LTE support).

I really expect extra speed and a much better display.

11. dborja macrumors 6502a

I went through the same dilemna and decided to sell my iPad1 now before it takes a further drop in value. I was going to wait until the iPad3 was announced before I decide on the iPad2 or iPad3 with the proceeds from my iPad1.

I finally decided to go for the iPad2 refurb ($419) as I'm betting that the ~$100 price difference outweighs what I get with the iPad3 (new CPU, better battery, retina display(?) and better camera) for my purposes. Granted, the iPad2 refurb will most likely drop further (maybe $350?) after the iPad3 starts shipping and I could have saved another $70 maybe but I really miss having an iPad. I realized how much I depended my iPad both at work and play for the three weeks that I was iPadless...

I do have a Plan B if I find the iPad3 to be a compelling update: my wife still has an iPad1 and she liked my white iPad2 when I unboxed it and let her play around with it. I may be able to pass the iPad2 to her in that eventuality. :)

12. MrRon macrumors regular

MrRon

I will wait for another 2 months..if not you will ask the same question again a year later