iPad 1 Owners - Why the Frenzy For iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tones2, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Tones2 macrumors 65816

It seems to me that a lot of people currently in "I gotta have it right now" iPad 2 frenzy mode also currently have iPad 1's. My question is, other than facetime (which few really use), what can you do that much differently in iPad 2 RIGHT NOW that really make that big of a difference that you can't wait 4-5 weeks?

Tony

2. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

You are talking about a new device and Apple fans.

The answer is obvious.

3. Tones2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well I only posted this because I was one of them. I waited for 3+ hours in line on Day 1 and didn't get one. But then when I actually was playing with the in-store model the next day, it just hit me as to what the heck is really different about it right now that would really affect me at all. Yes, it's a little thinner, but not really dramatically noticeable. Yes, it's much faster, but there are only a handful of apps right now that take any advantage of that at all.

I did go online and still purchase it in the hopes that there will be a whole lot more apps that take advantage of the speed increase a few months from now. But I got over my wait in line frenzy pretty quickly.

Tony

4. baummer macrumors 6502a

+1. Plus there are plenty of new iPad customers who didn't buy the original (like me).

5. jb007clone macrumors 6502

jb007clone

So you didn't really need the 2, but bought one in the hopes that it becomes relevant?

A few months from now there very well may be an iPad 3, which will no doubt be faster. You should've saved your money for that instead.

6. Tones2 thread starter macrumors 65816

The iPad 3 will be 11 months down the road from me getting an iPad 2, not a few months. But that's not the question, is it? :rolleyes:

Tony

7. Tones2 thread starter macrumors 65816

I can understand NEW iPad buyers. The question is for iPad 1 owners.

Tony

8. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

v2 upgraders....

1. Apple fanatics who can't wait to give Steve Jobs and Jonny Ive more of their money.

2. People who are tired of their family members jacking their v1.

3. People who have a legitimate need for the v2's features and capacities.

4. People who bought v1 wifi's and want a 3g model.

5. People who need more space than what's on their v1.

I do a lot of surfing for work on mine out of my office, and I'm blown away by how much quicker the v2 is on a good wifi connection. If there was a similar speed difference on 3g, I'd get one, period.

9. jb007clone macrumors 6502

jb007clone

Rumor has it the iPad 3 could arrive as early as September, but even 11 months is a short time. You bought the iPad 2 for it's potential, which even you admit might not be fulfilled for months. You could've waited yourself to see if it was truly a worthy upgrade. The answer to your question is there isn't a lot, aside from a handful of games/apps (imovie, etc) which are iPad 2 exclusive, that 2 can do versus 1. If you facetime/skype videochat constantly, I guess you could use the cameras for that, but chances are you already have a device(s) that you use for that anyways.

10. Tones2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, all good reasons. But why the frenzy to get it NOW as opposed to 4-5 weeks since iPad 1 can still do about 95% of what iPad 2 can do?

Tony

11. Tones2 thread starter macrumors 65816

There is no September iPad 3 rumors (that was completely phony). And 11 months is not a short time from a device technology standpoint. And I might mot buy the iPad 3 anyway. And none of this relates to the question at hand. :)

Tony

12. jb007clone macrumors 6502

jb007clone

I answered your question.

I agree with you on waiting. By waiting though, you have to admit to yourself that it's not really worth it. If you can wait several weeks because there's nothing that 2 can really do better than 1, then you can wait until the 3 comes out.

By the time there's a bunch of iPad 2, exclusive processor hungry apps/games that really, REALLY make the difference, it will be March of next year.

13. bearwise macrumors newbie

I've ordered one, and I'm a "4", been regretting not getting 3g since the first 10 minutes I had my V1 in my hands. And I have trouble believing that Apple would replace something with so many one product parts after just 6 months, when everything else they make seems to be on a one year replacement cycle.

14. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Gotcha. Been asking myself that. Guess if you're going to spend that much money, you may as well get all the enjoyment you can out of it before apple releases a new model.:D

15. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I had planned on waiting for next year but my Mom wanted one and wouldn't take advantage of the new features/improvements so she now has mine and I now have a new model. Since my Mom is heading back north, waiting wasn't an option, unless of course I wanted to go a while without an iPad and as a mild Apple junkie, that clearly wasn't an option ;).

16. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Seems many here and friends of mine in real life that own iPad 1's were intrigued with iPad 2 but like you, I played around with it at a best buy and said no thanks

If someone games a lot or designs things or needs a camera, the ipad2 is a solid upgrade. For others, I just dont see it.

As another poster said, I am not sure why you would but it after your initial reaction

17. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

+1

Not enough for me to worry about right now.... nice update...

It will take a killer app for me to change my mind over my iPad1 here that it can't handle. Otherwise I will hold out for the iPad3....

18. mayhone1 macrumors regular

I agree, I actually decided to just stick with the ipad 1 and order a ipod touch cause the video quality is a bit better anyway and with both I can do the same as if I got the iPad 2 at least if I wait I can avoid the rush.

19. jhawk31 macrumors newbie

I upgraded for the faster speed, thinner and the ability to Facetime with my friends/family (yes I have an iPhone 4 too, but the real estate is nice). I sold my original iPad about 2 weeks before the new one was announced. So basically I rented the first one for about $10-15/mo. I do this with all my Apple products b/c they hold their value so well.

20. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

There have been tons of September iPad rumors. How can you say a rumor doesn't exist? A rumor needs only to be spoken not proven, thus the name.

21. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

It's a fair point OP. To be honest, at first I wasn't too bothered, then in the hype surrounding the announcement, I put my iPad 1 on eBay before bed one night and next thing I know it's been sold.

Felt pretty crappy about the whole thing when packing it up, it suited my needs perfectly and has served me well the past 9 or so months. :(

Now I'm kinda undecided, I want another one, but I don't want to go and buy another Gen 1, especially if I have to pay out extra just to get the same model back.

22. NeonGreenHermit macrumors regular

As Apple fans, we're like magpies. Shiny, shiny!

But seriously, I never buy the 'next generation' iDevice to what I already have - the exception was the iPhone 4, which blew me away with the screen.

I think if you have money, what the hey, who cares? But for me, and I suspect the most of us iPad 1 owners here, the iPad 2 isn't a huge leap forward from the original, and I'd rather save my pennies for a much substantial upgrade.

The truth for me is that wifi-only and 32gb is literally all I need - I don't need 3G (at all) or a megabyte more memory, so why go through the hassle of selling a perfectly good device for almost half the price I paid, just for something thinner (which doesn't even matter as I case all my Apple devices) and a teeny bit faster (I'd never use the cameras)? I'm pretty sure the iPad 3 will blow everyone away with an even faster processor to pump out a beautiful higher res screen, a gig of RAM, and a host of other features. That's the iPad I'll be green with envy over. So it's a big 'meh' to the iPad 2 from me right now.

Just being honest people. I really think buying a new tablet (or computer, or phone, or whatever) every year for 2-3 new features is a little obsessive.

23. Rafterman macrumors 68000

Playing around with one in a store doesn't do justice to its speed unless you run some of the more processor-intensive apps. It is noticeably faster, particularly in graphics intensive operations. And enough people use Facetime that it would make a significant uptick in sales.

24. vw195 macrumors 6502

It is truly much faster at everything. That is enough reason alone. The wifi is much more solid (at least thats my experience).

25. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

From a performance standpoint you are hard-pressed to find another iDevice upgrade that have brought such a high increase in performance.