iPad 1 Power Adapter Question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kkamann, Apr 6, 2012.

1. kkamann macrumors regular

kkamann

I'm considering buying an 1st gen iPad for my son from an online acquaintance. But she has the smaller "cube" power adapter like the one you get with an iphone/ipod...not the larger 10W adapter. She swears up and down that the cube adapter was the one that came with her iPad (she purchased directly from Apple-original owner). I find this hard to believe. I thought all generations of iPads came with the 10W adapter from day 1. When you look at the iPad 1 refurbs for sale on the Apple website, they come with the 10W adapter.

My question is: Was there ever a time, perhaps early on, where the original iPad only came with the smaller cube adapter instead of the 10W?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The iPad has always shipped with the larger 10 watts charger.

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I concur, tell your daughter not to swear as it may have come from the previous owner with the cube charger but it came from the factory with the standard larger 10 watt charger.:apple:

4. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

The iPad charges slower with the iPhone adapter, so you really want the iPad one (not that it won't work though.)

If you can score a good deal on the iPad without the correct charger, I would buy a used one from OWC, they are very cheap (under $4 + shipping).

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/A1205C2/

5. kkamann thread starter macrumors regular

kkamann

The person who is swearing up and down is original owner trying to sell me her iPad 1. (I don't have a daughter...lol). She's also saying she bought an iPad 3 and it came with the smaller too. LOL I think her family has a slew of iphones, ipods, and ipads lying around and she's confused and doesn't know what she's talking about. Now she is going on about the USB charger recall a couple years ago and where they "replaced the large charger she got with her 3GS with the smaller cube and the green dot". :eek: LOL She's clueless. ugh

6. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

There's another thing, in addition to power, to worry about with old chargers (if people don't already fuss over the iThings enough already). Apple has been gradually and ever so slightly changing the physical specs; size of the metal plug and plastic flange (which stops against the iPad 3’s angled socket). I used an old iPod one from my computer's usb to my iPad 1, but I plugged it into my iPad 3 just once and it was very difficult to remove. Won't do that again.