iPad 1 prices a dropping

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 53x12, Mar 8, 2011.

1. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

Been checking eBay recently as well as CL. Seems like CL is a bit behind on the market value of the iPad 1. Probably after the iPad2 hits the stores, then the prices will drop.

Been seeing 16GB wifi going for $290-310 and the 32GB wifi going for $315-360 on eBay the past day or 2.

2. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

I was getting $100-$150 less on my offers from a CL post only a few hours after the announcement.

I ended up selling for $375 with a dodo case and an Apple case (16GB Wifi).

3. shipwrecked macrumors member

Bought an iPad on craigslist in the weekend. Luckily I got one at a great price. Some sellers were asking for $400 for a 16GB Wifi only iPad which really is way too high considering the refurbished model is priced at $349. Then there were some folks who emailed me back asking for more $$$ than their listed price. :eek:

4. gigaguy macrumors 65816

Someone postulated that if supplies on the ipad2 are slim, (not an unreasonable assumption since there was no pre-order allowed and rumors are Apple underestimated demand) this might effect the prices of the used ipad1, it could go up a little.
    whatayathink?
    I'm thinking most people who want the ipad2 will be willing to wait. Apples refurb price of $349 (16gb wifi) is very good.

5. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I guess it's a matter of timing and luck. It is the perfect time to get the iPad 1 now...I got a 2 month old 64gb iPad wifi with box and everything for $345 last night. The seller just wanted to get the iPad 2 this Friday.

6. 53x12 thread starter macrumors 68000

53x12

That is an incredible deal. Almost too good to sound real.

7. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

I was getting $400 offers on my 16GB Wifi, and they immediately went down to about $275-$300 offers after the refurb of the same model went down to $350.

I doubt the value will rise due to supply constraints. As long as refurb iPad 1s are for sale, the CL/eBay market will suffer lower prices.

8. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

Ebay instant sale is offering $304 for the 16gb wifi

9. psherman42walla macrumors member

I am wondering the same thing. I think the iPad prices will even decrease after the iPad 2 comes out this Friday. There way more people who are holding onto their iPad until they get the new one.

With that said, I need some advice. A friend of mine wants to trade me his 64GB iPad with 3G for my iPhone 4 + $200. Does anyone think this is a good deal?

10. 53x12 thread starter macrumors 68000

53x12

That is to buy it for $304 or to sell it?

11. kettlecorn macrumors 6502

Where is this? Link?

the 16gb wifis are going for at least $315+shipping at the moment. A lot of them are ending soon.
    What's amazing is the ipad2 presale listings. Going for $650 and counting. lol

I bought one on craigslist for $300 with box and warranty until may 2011 but I ended up liking it so much I changed my mind and wanted new. So i listed it at $325 thinking i'd get offers at $250, which I did but I got over 30 emails in a 12 hour period. Someone emailed me 2 times and I hadn't even had a chance to check them all. Sold for full price at $325.

I'd say a good condition 16gb wifi is going for $280-300. CL is always behind on the prices and the prices will stay that away until the ipad 2 is officially out and iOS 4.3 comes out. Then the real dumping begins and supply > demand for ipad 1. In about 2-3 weeks, I guarantee ipad 1's will drop about $50, not unreasonable to find them at $250. But, probably no lower than $230 cause at a certain point, the price drop will plateau.

12. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

What do you all think will happen in like 2-3 months if and when Apple sells through their clearance and refurb iPad 1 stock? I could see prices creeping back up a bit...

13. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

That's possible. I could see $350 again for iPad 1s when the refurbs run out.

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

Google is a great tool. Ebay Instantsale link is http://green.ebay.com/instantsale/

You'll selling to ebay (or their wholesaler) rather than to an individual, and pricing reflects this. Not substantially different in practice from Gazelle or others.

15. swllnvag macrumors member

The prices have gone down by $100 at the Apple stores for the current iPad.

I bought a 16GB Wi-fi about 10 days ago, before they announced the iPad 2. Once it was announced and I decided I wasn't going to get the iPad 2 I returned the 16GB and got the 32GB for the same price ($450 after the "friends and family" discount because my buddy works there).

I can only assume the price differences everyone is seeing on CL and eBay has at least something to do with Apple dropping their prices.

16. mathewr macrumors 6502

i can get 400 from gazelle for 32gb 3g/ wifi. not sure if thats a good deal or not. ive also never done business with gazelle before, so im weary in that regard.

17. kettlecorn macrumors 6502

The instantsale calculator is garbage (in finding real time going prices). I thought the guy was talking about how he saw a view as "Buy it now" on ebay going for $304. Real life prices show that the "buy it now" for the 16gb wifi ipads are at least $375-399 and bidding ends at around $325. Its not as cheap as one might hope. CL is still the best bet. And CL depends on search skill and communication skills and if someone's good at that, won't be too difficult to find one sub-$300.

Always supply and demand.. once the refurbs are gone, prices will go back up. And especially if news gets out that the ipad2 isnt worth it or something like that, then most people will want the ipad 1 for cheap.

18. deeddawg macrumors 604

Exactly. Wholesaler prices are not reflective of private sale prices other than to illustrate a "price floor". Similar to the situation of trading in a car vs. selling it privately via CL or Autotrader.

I agree with the speculation that used pricing will go back up once the market oversupply is bought through. Right now it's a buyers market with so many private sellers all competing with Apple's effort to clear inventory. The only questions are when the oversupply will abate, and to what degree prices will rise.

I'd say that now is the worst time to sell a used ipad1. Best time for raw price would have been a few weeks ago, but then you have to factor the lost value of having an ipad to use during that time; something that would vary from person to person.

19. Good.Shepherd macrumors member

I had a 32 gig wifi. And a good sena case, the dodo case, and a zagg screen on it.

About three days before the announcement I went ahead and put it on CL just to see what the offers were. I had no intention of selling it then, as I use it a TON in my business and it's definitely my preferred device for client interface.

I put it up, with all the cases and such, for $500 (new, all the items as a package cost about $900 total, including tax). I figured I'd get an offer at $400 for all of it which I could decide if I wanted at the time. I also thought it would take a few days to get a real offer.

Within ten minutes of the listing and posting pics I had an email that read "I'll give you $500 for it today, if you take cash."

We met up at a Barnes and Noble, he paid cash and left pleased. I had no idea what the used market would be after the announcement so I felt like I had done well but maybe could have asked more.

Starting the day after the announcement I saw prices begin to drop and now they've really come down.

I consider myself lucky. Biggest problem is that I've had to go a full work week without it.

Selling a few days before an announcement will be my strategy from here on out.

20. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

There is a glut of old, new, and refurbs right now. Once the iPad 2 launches and bulk of people have sold their iPad 1.0 and Apple has sold out its old inventory my guess is that prices will rebound. iPad 2 stories will add a new layer of iPad owner wanabees that can't or don't want to afford a $500+ tablet.

21. gaz81 macrumors member

gaz81

As soon as apple stop selling the ipad 1 then prices might be a bit more stable. Might even go up a little....

22. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

That is definitely true. I could have sold mine a month ago and fetched a higher price, but then I wouldn't have an iPad for a month!

23. canadianipad macrumors regular

canadianipad

Maybe it's because the iPad 2 doesn't arrive in Canada until the 25th, but you can still get a lot for the original iPad.
    Just sold my 64GB 3G iPad with Dodo case for $720.
    Lots of people on Kijiji & Craigslist also getting a lot for their original iPad's.