iPad 1 Screen Burn In

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mgmusicman94, Jun 30, 2011.

1. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys. I was just wondering if anyone else has had the problem I'm having with my iPad. After using safari for a while, or sometimes even just a few minutes, I go back to my home screen and see a ghost image of the search bar and whole top navigation bar on my home screen. Also, today I had pandora open for about 5 minutes and went back to the home screen just to find that the whole lower half of the screen had ghost images of the text and sidebar. I'm quite unhappy about this and i'm wondering if apple will do anything about this.

Here's a video of someone else with this problem:

2. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

I'd take it to your nearest Apple Store and show one of the Geniuses. this is the first time that I've ever heard of any sort of screen burn in on an lcd...

3. Ashwood11, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2011

Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

Agreed… burn in is not supposed to be an issue with LCD.

4. mgmusicman94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I guess it's a defective unit...

5. info macrumors member

info

Take it back for sure.

6. scientifics macrumors newbie

Hey, I thought I would add my own experience about this just in case anyone else is having this problem. I went to the Apple Store a few weeks ago with the same problem. The Genius there had never heard of such a problem, nor had his lead Genius, nor was there any reference to such a problem on the Apple Support site. Apparently it is either pretty rare or people just aren't noticing it (it did take me a while to notice it, but once I did it was pretty annoying and I also feared that my screen was going to wear out after my warranty expired). Anyway, I took it in and was given a replacement unit. I have since tried to replicate the problem on the replacement to no avail so I consider the problem fixed.

7. marktuk macrumors member

Mine has started doing this... I noticed it in the Day One app, the menu on the left is white, and when you select something the next menu has a grey area where the white used to be. You can see a ghost of the previous menu depending on how long it was left on the screen... and it does it in other apps... It's definately the screen.

While it's not massively obvious on my iPad, my fear is it could get alot worse, my iPad is well out of warranty, is it still worth visiting an apple store?

8. Onimusha370 macrumors 6502a

similar story here, i've notice the grey bar in safari is still visible after i go back to the home screen. i'm also well out of warrenty :(
    i might take it in, just on the off chance they do something.

9. seeharrison macrumors regular

seeharrison

I noticed the same thing happening to my first generation iPad a couple of months ago. Whenever I would use Safari for more than 5 min or so, the address bar would linger once I closed out of the app. I didn't know if it was a defect or not. I've still got AppleCare on it, so I guess I'll take it in.

10. mgmusicman94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I'm guessing something like this wouldn't be covered after the year of applecare is over? Even though it's a defect.

11. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

Check with Apple anyway.

12. ergun71 macrumors newbie

I got a new iPad 1 back last week and I was happy for a week. Yesterday I saw the same thing with the new one. :(

13. mgmusicman94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Took it in yesterday and as expected they won't replace it because it's out of warranty. The best they can give me is 50% off the price I paid for mine to get a new iPad 1. I don't think it's worth $250 to buy a new one so I'll just live with it. I should have gone in earlier when I still had applecare. :(