Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
Brought an ipad 1 when they had not been out long. I remember people saying your crazy lol.

You know I got a good case for it when I brought it and it it still as good as the day I got it. It's been dropped by the kids on the floor, down the stairs, had their breakfast spilt on it and apart from 1 minor scratch on the screen it is perfect.

No show me one of these cheap alternatives after all this time!

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
Ours is I see all the time by someone so it's not like it's not used either.

I'd say that's amazing value for money!

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Brought an ipad 1 when they had not been out long. I remember people saying your crazy lol.

You know I got a good case for it when I brought it and it it still as good as the day I got it. It's been dropped by the kids on the floor, down the stairs, had their breakfast spilt on it and apart from 1 minor scratch on the screen it is perfect.

Good for you! Have you needed to replace the battery at all?

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
Same here, at least in terms of hardware, including the battery, which lasts as long as it did brand-new. Unfortunately 5.x ruined it performance-wise.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I still try to use mine, too from time to time but webpages are loading sloooooow .. :( lots of crashes.
It is strudy though.
Droped it several times, had to fix the connector with pliers and it once feel in a bucket with water and i had fish it out.
Its not old, not even 4years. I keep every computer and phone at least for a decade.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Still have mine as well. Battery is good even.

A fresh install of iOS does wonders to it, though. It made a huge increase in overall performance. I only use it on occasion, and it works well enough. The only thing it's missing is the Retina display... that low res is like looking at graphics made from lego blocks. ;)

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
Still on original battery as well yes and it still gives hours.

Hmm, will also try a fresh install of ios and see if it makes a difference. Do I just do that through iTunes like a reset?

cullen43

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2013
Still use mine every day. Same battery since day one. Just does what I want it to do so have no intention of changing/upgrading.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I still have my day-1 iPad 1. It is now being used as the internals of a vintage TV. I jailbroke it so that I can bypass the lockscreen. (Lockscreen image is "static"). I use OPlayerHD video player to play a video playlist of vintage TV programs and commercials. It continuously plays (even when the power button is pressed) so every time I turn it on, it is in a random spot in the playlist.

VTV-finished.jpg

Here's a link to my blog post describing the project.

christarp

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2013
I use my ipad 1 for netflix and web browsing still. Web browsing gets iffy but whatever, still works. I always told myself I would not get a new ipad until it had sufficient ram and I could get 128GB for the same price I paid for my 64GB. The $100 increase for flash storage is ridiculous as flash has come down in price massively since 2010, and the premium is way too high.

scorpio1973

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2009
I still have my day-1 iPad 1. It is now being used as the internals of a vintage TV. I jailbroke it so that I can bypass the lockscreen. (Lockscreen image is "static"). I use OPlayerHD video player to play a video playlist of vintage TV programs and commercials. It continuously plays (even when the power button is pressed) so every time I turn it on, it is in a random spot in the playlist.

This is very cool! Even with your very detailed instructions, I am just not that talented. LOL.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY

Cool idea!

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
I use my ipad 1 for netflix and web browsing still. Web browsing gets iffy but whatever, still works. I always told myself I would not get a new ipad until it had sufficient ram and I could get 128GB for the same price I paid for my 64GB. The $100 increase for flash storage is ridiculous as flash has come down in price massively since 2010, and the premium is way too high.

Yes, hopefully Apple will change the base storage this year. Apple's 32/64/128 GB lineup in fall 2013 was cheaper to produce than the 16/32/64 GB storage was in 2011. Next iPad refresh, Apple has no excuse (except better profit margins) to not go to a 32/64/128 GB lineup.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Yes, hopefully Apple will change the base storage this year. Apple's 32/64/128 GB lineup in fall 2013 was cheaper to produce than the 16/32/64 GB storage was in 2011. Next iPad refresh, Apple has no excuse (except better profit margins) to not go to a 32/64/128 GB lineup.

Um, the lineup is 16/32/64/128 currently.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest

This is just as cool as the guy who mounted a mini into their dash.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I'm impressed the batteries are still going strong.

I think at some point in the last five years, Li-Ion battery tech really improved when it comes to longevity. Think back to before 2009 or so.. how many cel phone batteries would last even two years before losing most of their capacity?

I remember having to replace the battery in my circa 2005 Treo 650 by 2007, and the new battery was already starting to fade in capacity by the time I replaced that phone in 2009.

There was some HUGE advance in Li-Ion longevity in there somewhere.

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
Got mine eight days after release. I'm not sure it's still going strong but it's certainly still going. Some websites make it hiccup. Some games that used to run fine are a little jerky at critical moments. And the headphone plug is half broken: I get only one channel of sound now. But for most idle browsing, messaging, IRCing, light document editing and other stuff it's still fine.

I have a third gen iPad that my employers provided. It's often overwhelmed by a combination of retina screen and feeble CPU. iOS 8 seems to have made this worse.

Q-Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
Ours is still going. We had semi retired it when I replaced my original ipad with an ipad air in January. Then we decided to give Cat's ipad 2 to her mother so we can facetime with her. Cat is now using the ipad 1 around the house while we wait for the next models to be announced.

jimlaing

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2009
Central NC
iPad 1 still going

Yes, I still have my iPad 1, and its battery seems just about as good as when it was new! I don't use it as often, and I've taken many apps of it, but for the apps I do use it for (such as reading music to play my instrument or for others to read music from when I have a jam session) and for music playback "iTunes", it works well. Seems a bit sluggish, but otherwise works as good as when I bought it ...

-Jim

Padmini

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2014

That's great, and a testament to the quality of the device...even the first one got it right.

That said, even if I wanted an iPad to be nothing more than a digital picture frame hung on a wall...I would still need at least an iPad 3. :p

Sonic 1992

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2012
Still have my iPad 1. Flawless!

I upgraded to an iPad 3, and I use my iPad 1 in an iCade arcade cabinet.

I love this! I put iMame in it and now I have a mini arcade cabinet running actual arcade goodness!!

I wish I could go back in time and give this to myself in 1983! ...With Dragon's Lair too!!!!! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.