Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mark28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
I'm thinking about picking up an iPad 1 64 gb + 3G tomorrow for cheap, brand new from a store that is trying to get rid of them.

But I'm still doubting because the iPad 2 is much more powerful.

Is the iPad 1 still good enough? It doesn't lag at all?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I'm thinking about picking up an iPad 1 64 gb + 3G tomorrow for cheap, brand new from a store that is trying to get rid of them.

Does not lag, it has even better specs than iPhone 4, and running about the same resolution.

It has slightly less graphical fidelity in some heavy 3D games.
Some next gen 3D games may not work, or may not work well.
It will likely stop getting OS updates before iPad 2. Probably won't get iOS7.
No multi-finger gestures, no airplay mirroring to AppleTV.

In the grand scheme of things, not a real big deal, IMO.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
Does not lag, it has even better specs than iPhone 4, and running about the same resolution.

It has slightly less graphical fidelity in some heavy 3D games.
Some next gen 3D games may not work, or may not work well.
It will likely stop getting OS updates before iPad 2. Probably won't get iOS7.
No multi-finger gestures, no airplay mirroring to AppleTV.

In the grand scheme of things, not a real big deal, IMO.

Agree with this, iPad 1 still a good deal if you can find one for cheap..

Btw iPad has inferior specs than the iPhone 4 (256MB RAM vs 512MB on iP4), negligible though.

06Honda

macrumors regular
May 25, 2011
I have been using the original ipad on the original os and no issues at all. I will keep it until it dies.

Asc3nsion

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
I love mine!

I have had mine for over a year, my buddy has an ipad 2 and I don't see a big enough difference to upgrade. I love the ipad. I wouldn't hesistate to buy the one at this time, now if a ipad 3 was coming soon I might wait but otherwise I say buy!

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah there's nothing wrong with them, especially if you can score one for cheap. If a shop near me was selling them off super cheap I'd certainly grab one no question!

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
I've had my iPad 1 since day 1 and am as happy with it now as I was when I purchased it. Having said that I do plan to upgrade whenever iPad 3 comes out. I figure I'll get every other model (and pass my old ones down to my wife).

Evan_11

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2004

Ok so what store is selling them, and for how much?

The biggest problem I see with the iPad 1 is that you cannot use multi-figure gestures under iOS 5. I own an iPad 2 and I would not want to go back to using the home button to switch between apps. In fact, I would prefer if Apple ditched the home screen button completely with the iPad 3 and just make the on/off button multi-purpose.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007

Depends on the price. iPad 1 is definitely a good tablet especially if you don't plan to do too much with it. If your using it mainly for just browsing and email then it's fine. I just picked up an iPad 2 last week (day of Steve's passing) after using my iPad 1 since day of release and I can say that the speed and 512 MB RAM is huge improvement for me. I also just love the gestures, but that can be enabled on iPad 1 by jailbreaking, afaik.

mark28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Ok so what store is selling them, and for how much?

The biggest problem I see with the iPad 1 is that you cannot use multi-figure gestures under iOS 5. I own an iPad 2 and I would not want to go back to using the home button to switch between apps. In fact, I would prefer if Apple ditched the home screen button completely with the iPad 3 and just make the on/off button multi-purpose.

Only $450. :p

Wozza2010

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2010
Like doboy said, you could get a 16gb ipad2 instead. Do you really need 64gb?

I've had an ipad1 for year. It's been ok buts it starting to show its limitations now. Its been chuggy since os4 tbh, switching between apps is jerky. Safari is still pretty slow even with os5. Also, I very much doubt ipad1 will get os6.

If it was me I would wait till march and get ipad3, but if you can't wait then get the iPad2 16gb for sure.

Ipad1 is pretty much a dead end road from now on.

ruvil

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2010
iPad 1 still works just fine - but if you are going to buy a brand new iPad, get the iPad 2 instead.

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Then, when the iPad 3 comes out, wait a little longer for the iPad 4 :p

Bymatt

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2011
Had my used iPad 1 for abt 6 mos now

Paid 400 for it in pristine shape w orig box and apple care until june 2012. DEALS ARE out there !
See a lot of comments that it wont mirror. That is correct, however it ignores the fact that one can handbrake then store movies, etc on it and use it with an ATV2 to hook through HDMI amp-receiver and enjoy movies w 5.1 audio through your wifi system. Plays wonderfully all the time, not JB. When done with movie, remove it from iTunes, but leave it on archival disc for future use, Casual email retrieval, browsing, reviewing of PDFs for field use Get a 64g w WIFI. You never know when you will cant field use and you would be amazed at how fast you can fill 64g if you get to loading movies on it, even temporarily. Its my place holder until the 3 is here. Wanted to be sure I would like whole iPad concept. Wont be without one now.

Last edited:

iMoo

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2010
I've had my iPad 1 since day 1 and am as happy with it now as I was when I purchased it. Having said that I do plan to upgrade whenever iPad 3 comes out. I figure I'll get every other model (and pass my old ones down to my wife).

Same as what i am doing, getting every other one. I had iPhone 3G and waited for 4, now will skip 4s and wait for 5.
I do have ipad 1 and though some apps crash as they run out of memory (i got it jailbroken so can see as the memory gets less) think i can hold out until ipad 3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.