iPad 1-style case for new iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by GekkePrutser, Apr 3, 2012.

1. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

I'm really looking for an iPad 1-style case, exactly like the official case at that time.

Since I got the new iPad I've been using the Smart Cover but I don't like it at all. It doesn't protect the back (obviously) but I also find it much wobblier when I use it to put the iPad at a slanted angle. The original case could be folded back and be quite secure.

Would anyone know an aftermarket case that's just like this?

2. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

You're looking for a folio leather case of sorts, there are LOADS of them out there. I bought a cheap technet one on amazon for a fiver.

3. GekkePrutser thread starter macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

Yeah that's the thing, I don't really want a leather one, I really like the rubbery one that was the official case with the 1. Because it's a bit sticky it's not prone to slipping. I also really like the simple fold-back mechanism, the ones I've seen in the shop either had complicated multiple-position mechanisms or annoying straps or bands.

But you're right, I've only seen 4 or 5 models in the local shops, I'll have a look on Amazon.

4. Adgeman macrumors member

Would really appreciate if you post what you find; I really miss the original case.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I hear the switcheasy canvas is good but nothing beats the original iPad 1 case.

6. Fynd macrumors 6502

I still have my ipad 1 official case, was great.

The closest thing I've found is what I use now, the Incipio Smart Feather+ Apple Smart Cover.

The incipio case seems to be the same material as the old case... That smooth, soft, rubberish yet admittingly easy to get dirty material. It locks the smart cover in place, removing the looseness that comes along with that. Total thickness increase of ~2mm total is nice too.

7. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

As was at best buy a couple of weeks ago and I saw a griffin folio that was made of the same material as the old iPad case but I can't remember the name.

8. GekkePrutser thread starter macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

Thanks for the ideas everyone!! I think I'll go for the case2case one, that's really what I'm looking for.. It's almost like the original except the way it folds, good enough for me :D I hope I can get it in Europe.

9. eBalut, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012

eBalut macrumors newbie

I would be careful with this one. It looks just like the Acase I got from Amazon for my iPad 2. It covers the light sensor and part of the home button. It also does not hold the iPad in the case as well as the Apple case did on the iPad 1. Finally, it gets dirty easier and the edges start to fray. I agree that this is the closest you may find to the original case, but in my opinion, the quality is just not the same. Good luck.

UPDATE: I got the Speck FitFolio today and really like it. Just FYI.

10. scubasteve03 macrumors regular

11. BrennerM macrumors regular

I was in the same situation and ended up with the Griffin Elan Folio in red.

http://store.griffintechnology.com/elan-folio

- seems to protect the iPad fairly well (although I haven't dropped it yet!)
    - I like the red leather look
    - stays cleaner than the rubbery texture of the original iPad case
    - doesn't seem any heavier than my previous iPad1/case combo
    - solid when upright in landscape mode

Dislikes:
    - the border around the screen makes it hard to touch things that are right on the edge of the screen
    - the corners of the iPad are exposed a bit, unlike the Apple iPad 1 case
    - the iPad is fairly secure but can move a tiny bit inside the case because the flap you tuck in to hold the iPad is a bit too small

p.s. The magnets did work to lock/unlock the iPad but when the cover was folded around back it sometimes triggered the lock, so I ended up disabling the auto-lock in settings

12. modelsown macrumors newbie

I had one of these for my IPad 2 which worked great although not as stable as the Apple Smart cover as a stand because the magnets were a little weak. I had to stop using it for the new iPad because it now longer wakes it up. You may want to confirm with the seller before purchasing to make sure they have been updated for the new iPad. :)

13. modelsown macrumors newbie

Well if they say it's for the new iPad, it must be true, right? All retailers should be trusted fully and without question...especially on the Internet!

14. fishlove macrumors newbie

it seems that the keyboard case is very good, it can be folded and can work as stand and keyboards at the same time...

15. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k