Ipad 1 to 2, instead of 3...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Onemorerun, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Onemorerun macrumors member

I love my IPad 1, but its lack of RAM is killing me. Thus I went shopping to compare the 2 and 3.

For IPad 1 users I think the 2 is a worthy upgrade to consider over the three. Cost wise, Apple dropped the price by 100 dollars and at Best Buy you can swap in your IPad 1 for credit. For my IPad 1 64 gigs, wifi and 3G I would get 230 dollars in credit. Not bad.

Why not the 3? For me it is all about the memory and the ipad 2 seems much faster (the dual core also helps). I can do without the retina display. I do think the heat will be a battery killer over the long haul. My IPad 1 is going strong, charges fast as hell, with many hours of use. The 2 is also the lightest of them all. It's noticeable. I think the best thing the 3 has is the camera. It is nice.

I wish they would offer an IPad 1 with a gig of memory. That would be awesome. It is amazing it runs so well on the little memory it has but....

2. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

iPad 3 has 1GB of memory. Much of that will be eaten up by the retina though. Performance wise iPad 2 & 3 match perfectly so it slimmer, lighter, cheaper is your thing iPad 2 is the way to go. I love the retina screen but its a little overhyped IMO

3. Dane9 macrumors member

4. William.Mantle macrumors 6502

Get the 2 and avoid the heat and screen problems

5. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Complete rubbish, the retina display is dramatically better. But to answer the OG question, depending on what you're going to be using the iPad for, the 2 could be seen fitting the bill at a reduced price.

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If it's all about the RAM for you then what you are saying makes not sense b/c the new iPad has 2x the RAM as the iPad 2. (1GB vs 512MB).

Personally, I don't seen any logical reason to buy a new iPad 2 @ $399 when the improved new iPad adds so much more value for another $100 (2x RAM, quadcore graphics, back side HD video and still cam, Retina display <sharper text>, & louder audio.

iPad 2 is still fine, but from a $ perspective it only makes sense to buy one at a deeper discount than $100, either 3rd party (new or used) or Apple refurb.

Fair enough, but you should disclose still watch TV on an old school SD 4:3 set. ;) </sarc>

7. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

For most people, the upgrade from 1 -> 3 is a no-brainer. Only the most casual users should opt for the 2. Or if you're really in a pinch and that $100 means a big deal to you (but then why are you considering a $400 luxury item in the first place, right?).

8. Papillo macrumors member

I would argue that this is complete rubbish. I have the 3 and there is nothing "dramatic" about the difference between both of them. The colors are a bit brighter in pics and text is a bit sharper but it is definitely over hyped on this forum.

9. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

The only reasons I'd go for the 2 is faster charging and price. But then I tell myself the retina display is worth the extra hundy, and that includes extra CPU and RAM. :D Value added!

10. kipperkip macrumors newbie

I owned an iPad and had a chance to use an iPad 2 for a week. I just bought the new iPad and I can notice a difference with the retina screen. I can't comment on screen color differences between the devices as I was not able to put them them side by side, but I find the text noticeably sharper on the iPad 3. I notice it immediately when web browsing text-oriented sites (like this one) and when reading on the Kindle app. I found the iPad and iPad 2 screens to be just fine, but I do notice and appreciate the clarity of text on the iPad 3 (with these early 50's eyes). Is the iPad 3 16GB Wi-Fi only worth $100 more than a similar iPad 2 - to me, absolutely. Is the iPad3 worth quite a bit more than a $100 difference relative to a used iPad 2 with more storage and/or 3G - that's a personal decision based on what you value most. That being said, I would buy the iPad 3.

11. boxster99t macrumors member

While I agree with you, I think the decision should only be made in person, assuming the choice is not one where price is the predominant issue. It sounds like the OP is doing a bestbuy buyback of sorts on the iPad 1--I would compare an iPad 2 to the new iPad and then decide based on what one's eyes tell them, whether the price differential is worth it.

12. elmo151 Guest

i went from 1 to 3

i use it to read a lot so the better 3 screen can make a difference to eye strain

13. pdawg macrumors regular

^^Agree!

14. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Every apple ios device has complaints of screen problems when they first come out. Just swap it for another one if you don't like the screen.

The heat issue is not an issue in general. A 70% larger battery is going to be hotter. If it's burning hot, swap it for another one.

For $100 bucks get the ipad 3. The screen is worth the cost as is the camera.

15. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

I would sell the iPad 1 on Craigslist and with the extra money you get buy the iPad 3. You could easily get double of the trade in price in a second. A banged up iPad 1 16 wifi only will get $230 no problem. The new one is a much better machine. Way better screen, way better camera. It's a nobrainer for the extra 100. The heat issues are greatly exaggerated. I have had no problems. Also the yellow screen issue is largely nonsense. The screen is a bit warmer in tone. It's mostly about a certain segment of people demanding total perfection before Apple has even had a chance to update the iOS to possibly address some of these minor issues. But at the end of the day it's your money. I had an iPad 1 and truth be told maybe you should just stick with it. It's a great machine. Why sell it for $230 is my big question. You have to be nuts to do that.

16. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

I gave my husband my iPad 2 when new iPad arrived. I've had issues with uneven screen tint and extreme overheating on first several battery cycles (extreme heating has abated now but still has ugly yellow tint on 1/3 of screen which is very distracting when reading on white backgrounds) which make me wonder if the new iPad was rushed out and not quite ready for prime time. This is my first somewhat negative experience with an Apple product and I'm a longtime Apple user. If it was an option for me, I would return new iPad for a refund and keep using my "perfect" (nothing is perfect in reality) iPad 2 until the fourth generation iPad is released. My quandary is whether to simply return the new iPad and purchase another iPad 2 (my husband is now hooked) or exchange for the new version a third time, hoping I get a non-defective unit this time around. I need 64G storage so it makes it more complicated to find an iPad 2 still in inventory. If money's any sort of issue, I'd go with iPad 2. It's lighter, just as snappy in performance, and seems to be free of some of these issues. Save your money and wait for 4th gen IMO. With your tradein, you are trading up for $150 which is dirt cheap.

----------

Completely agree. I've owned original, iPad 2 and new iPad.

17. dfiler macrumors newbie

Check out the screen in person. It's the only way to know for sure if it is worth a $100 to you personally.

From my perspective, it is hard to imagine anyone not wanting the better screen for $100.

18. slu macrumors 68000

slu

Interesting question. My standard advice has been, if you have an iPad 2, I wouldn't recommend running out and upgrading. I am not going to upgrade. My buddy got a new iPad lauch day and we compared the screens and the cameras. The screen is better, but at the distance I used it, it was not the dramatic improvement I expected it to be. The new camera is way better than the old one. I don't use the rear camera much for stills on my iPad, so even though it is a huge improvement, it is not a compelling reason to upgrade.

Coming from a iPad 1 is a quite different. I'd probably say to go for the new iPad. $100 is a small markup for the improvements you'll see over your current iPad.

19. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I have the 3, and the iPad 2 and side by side, the new iPad it's noticeably better.

20. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

Don't be cheap. Spend the extra $100 and get the new iPad. You will not regret it.

21. Onemorerun, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012

Onemorerun thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the comments.

Right now I really like my IPAD 1, but the occassional crashes due to what I believe to be lack of RAM can be annoying, thus my thinking twice the memory of the 2 would make it perfect for my uses. Also, the dual core and camera are nice extra touches I dont have now.

No, I dont think the IPAD 3 will burn my hands or it will explode. However, that heat I think will kill the battery much faster than the previous generations. We shall see.

Beyond the Retina screen, I think what would be cool is if somehow they remove the home button and make the screen larger on on the current form factor.

22. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Except far sharper text for reading, far better quality and colors for pictures, far better movie quality, and just about everything else that requires you to look at and interact with the screen. So in my opinion....its pretty dramatic.

23. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I feel my new iPad loads home share faster than my iPad 1 & 2 did. I think it has to do with the RAM. My iPad 2 would take nearly twice as long to access the videos I have on my home share.

24. Papillo, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012

Papillo macrumors member

On a 10 inch screen? When people can hardly see the difference btw 720p and 1080 p on a 42 inc screen? LMAO.. oh well to each his own.

The key word is "far" in your opinion it is dramatic. in mine it isn't. to each his own. I guess we will just have to agree to differ.

OP go in and test it and make your own decision. Unless you will have the new Ipad every time next to your Ipad 2, you will be 100% satisfied with the ipad 2 if you get it. You will not go blind because you dont have a retina display screen.

Don't fall for the hype...

----------

Wtr to the heat issue, how long do people run their ipads before feeling the so called heat? i run mine for hours and have no problems at all.

25. PhoneI macrumors 65816

I guess I fell for the hype. In my opinion, once you see the new screen there is just no going back to the old.