Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I have an iPad 1 that I use for web browsing and other generic tasks. Recently, I realized that I have been missing truly wonderful apps/experiences that are either not for iPhone 4S. I realized that I avoid apps that don't like the A4 - if I wanted lag, I would have gotten an Android device.

Anyway, I can either upgrade the iPhone (when it is refreshed) or the iPad now. I will be upgrading to the iPad 4 when it comes out, or to the iPhone if I choose that route now.

Which do you recommend? Coming from a first gen iPad owner, how much of a difference does the new iPad create? Thanks.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Both?

I went from a 1st generation to the new one and the screen alone is worth the upgrade. But only you can decide if a phone will be more useful. I have a 4S and the new iPad so I didn't have to decide.

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
When I compare my iPad 1 to the new iPad, I don't even really compare them because the iPad 1 doesn't even enter the level of the iPad 3.

Reimer

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2006
The screen itself is a fairly decent upgrade over the 1st gen iPad. But what also makes the new iPad that much more enjoyable to use over the 1st gen is the size, weight, and speed.

At its thickest point, the 1st gen is almost twice as thick. No more lag when it comes to doing many tasks too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.