iPad iPad 1 - upgrade shenanigans, app lockout

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Fwink!, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Fwink! macrumors member

I'm a bit upset that Apple or the App makers themselves - CBS, NETFLIX, etc, have chosen to update their apps to make what was just fine a week ago - inaccessible to iPad 1 users, on OS 5.

This is underhanded business in my opinion.

I saw the Target rebate thread, so I seriously thought about going that route and upgrading to an iPad Air. However, a relative decided they wanted my old iPad 1, fair enough, since you can't actually get an iPad for $200 - and up to this week, it was a little slow, but working just fine, and running all but a few of the more recent/game/graphically intense apps.

So I reset my iPad for this person to use, and you guessed it. Now Netflix won't load or can even be installed, or the CBS app.

Thanks Apple. That was ****** of you.

The point is, you can't even find the older version of the app that worked - it's an unethical push to force user's to upgrade hardware.

fanboi/rationalisations - Go!

Call to action: I'm requesting Apple or these App publishers to flip the switch back, or make available the version of the apps that work on iOS5.

2. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Apple doesn't make any of the apps you listed.

3. Fwink! thread starter macrumors member

Apple, absolutely has a say in the process and specifications. What I'm suggesting is that the decision to make those apps inaccessible to ios5 users was arbitrary, and a business decision to drive upgrades, not because there are features that required the upgrade.

Or will all the users who still have the versions of those apps that work, not be able to use them? Hopefully they won't be tricked into updating or ever resetting their devices.

The Apple ecosystem is a hand-me-down ecosystem. If older Apple products become obsolete through planned obsolescence, the appeal becomes tarnished.

4. kycophpd macrumors 6502a

kycophpd

Yeah this.

And your right, screw Apple and all the app makers for updating their apps to work better on the last 4 iterations of the iPad and not the 5th oldest. How dare them. Glad Android does not do this with pretty much each new software update. /sarcasm

5. Tzuten macrumors 6502

I do think apple should allow older versions of the app that is compatible with the device that the developer doesn't lock out. A iOS 5 netflix still works because the developer hasn't implemented any features that would break the core functionality of the app. So I do understand your point.

6. dave420 macrumors 65816

Your experience is completey different than mine. I just downloaded the CBS and Netflix appls on my first generation iPad. In fact several months ago I could not download the CBS apps, but now I can since Apple now allows you to download the older versions of apps. So I am not quite sure what you are saying.

7. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

8. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Exactly. Unlike before, the App Store now allows you to download the last compatible version for your iOS version so things have improved, actually. Alas, if the app developer doesn't want you to be able to download older versions, nothing Apple can do about that.

9. Fwink! thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, perhaps I spoke too soon. However, I had no luck getting those apps to install. I wonder if it has to do with certificates at some level, but I wasn't able to resolve it.

10. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

One of the things that developers love about iOS is the lack of fragmentation. They don't need to maintain multiple versions of their apps to achieve massive accessibility like they do on Android.

The original iPad only supports iOS 5 and lower. This means that for developers to continue to support it they'll potentially need to support two different versions of an app. This may not be in their interest if they believe their users and customers will get a better experience on newer versions of iOS.

The developer determines what versions of the OS will be supported and which ones won't. Apple gives them the ability to support old versions of an app for legacy devices, it's up to the developers whether or not they take advantage of these tools.

11. Fwink! thread starter macrumors member

All well and good, however between the working iOS5 app and the current IOS6 version, it appeared to be a bug fix. Not a redesign, so it seems a real shame to cut off users of perfectly useable devices. The app worked fine a day ago (in the case of netflix).

If the browser would allow users access, as it does on the desktop that would be fine as well as a work around, but no.

Sorry to my 70 yr old Mom, and I'll guess plenty of kids and families - you'll have to spend $500 to do the same thing you could do yesterday on an iPad because somebody decided to uncheck a box during the compile of a minor bug fix version of a popular app. For a service that we pay for, btw.

12. protoxx macrumors 6502

protoxx

Have you tried restoring from a backup? I presume you backed it up before wiping it.

13. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

If already downloaded the apps it should allow a re download of the latest compatible version for your installed iOS.

I think this only works with apps you've had under previous versions.

The reason I say this, last week I had an iPad 4 with iOS 6, it said I couldn't get the latest version of keynote but I could get the latest version that worked with iOS 6. However I couldn't get the older version of Numbers because I never got it before. When I clicked it said I needed iOS 7.

14. Fwink! thread starter macrumors member

This is almost my scenario, this all occurred after getting a iPad Air. I had the iPad 1 around still and was setting it up, both devices mounted. Also why I think it could be an issue with receipts (I had said certificates before). I downloaded netflix for the newer device and it superseded the older one without warning.

15. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

You might consider trading in the old ipad at Target for the $200 good through today. With the $25 Target is giving you off a Mini, you could upgrade to a much better device for about $100. This has got to be a behind the scenes deal with Apple to help get these deprecated devices off the market. I planned to hold onto my 1 for the kids, but this is a better deal than you'll likely get again.

16. Skika macrumors 68030

Look at him and laugh.

17. racer1441 macrumors 68000

My lotus notes software from the 1989 doesn't work anymore! Quick, form a angry mob!

18. page3 macrumors 6502

Why? Still the best made iPad. Still using mine, as I am my iPhone 1 :D

19. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

If you backed up your iPad to the computer, you should be able to restore any applications back to the iPad without downloading the latest version.

20. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

Did you set up your new iPad as a new iPad or restore from backup? If you set it up as new, and haven't emptied your trash, then it is possible that the last versions used on iPad 1 are still on your computer. ...if you ever did iTunes syncs via computer, let me know and I can help you find the apps. I've done this with old 3G iPhone when apps were disabled for older iOS, and for iPad as we'll (used to have iPad 1)

21. Fwink! thread starter macrumors member

Or they could make Netflix IOS5 compatible again, or the older version that is compatible available. You know, until something significant actually does change. Though the other video streaming portal apps seems to be dealing with these leaps in technology while maintaining compatibility with millions of iDevices adequately.

I'm sure the Netflix team will reveal their groundbreaking implementation of point, scroll and click to play a video any day now which absolutely requires a bare minimum, of IOS6 - not iOS7 brave tablet users, no, lest we go to far off that video portal cliff in one broad leap of technological faith. Just 6, just enough to disenfranchise a few hundred thousand paying customers.

----------

Yes, set up as new, seemed to be some conflict after I set up a new apple ID for the new user as well. But the former versions have disappeared.

My mom is 70, she doesn't get the significance of an iOS updates, or the necessity of upgrading and before this week these apps worked just fine.

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

So you were trying to download the apps with the new Apple ID? That might be the problem, as another pointed out that they were able to download old versions of previously purchased apps, but not apps that they tried to purchase now. I'd try logging into your iTunes Store account, and see if that'll let you download the old versions. If it works, just log out and log back into the account you made for your mom, the apps should stay in place.

23. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

Don't empty the trash! Since you set it the new iPad up as new, it's possible the apps are not in the trash. Your apps are still on your computer, just because you don't see them doesn't mean they are not there. I can show you how to retrieve them on a Mac, not sure where on the PC, but it can be done, then you can take these apps to the computer that is syncing with the 1st gen iPad.

First, they may simply be in the trash bin, iOS apps have filenames that end in .ipa.

The location of apps on the mac are in an "invisible" folder, first you need to make that folder "visible". If you know how to use terminal, simply type this command: chflags nohidden ~/Library (see: http://macs.about.com/od/usingyourmac/qt/Os-X-Lion-Is-Hiding-Your-Library-Folder.htm)

Once this folder is visible, you'll find all your iOS apps here:

{your user folder}>Music>iTunes>iTunes Media>Mobile Applications>

The version of the app is in the filename. You should be able to find more than one Netflix app, the older will either be next to the newer in this folder or in the trash.

What you need to do is take all the older versions of apps you know you used on the iPad 1 and copy them to a USB drive.

There is a process that takes a few steps using iTunes, but, at this point, I need to know if your computer is a Mac or PC?

24. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I have and use my iPad 1 everyday for Netflix. That's the only thing it can do. Only thing I do with it is buy a movie for the plane ride as I am on vacation. I am planning on getting an iPad air.