iPad iPad 1 user - worthwhile to upgrade to iPad 4?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by McPaul, Nov 3, 2012.

1. McPaul macrumors member

I'm a casual iPad 1 user, and have noticed this thing slowing down a lot. The space is getting maxed out as well (wish they'd make a 128gb version)

Will I notice a difference going to iPad 4? And what apps will show off the retina and speed?

Thanks!

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

You will notice a massive difference. Just go in store and see how much that screen sticks out.

3. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

The person who said go to the store gave good advice. The best way for you to decide may be to actually do a "hands on" comparison. You may also want to compare the specs and read reviews.

4. Liquinn Suspended

I'd say go for it. The difference is enormous. I'd say do it. :)

5. KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

+1

6. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

I have iPad 1, 2 and 3. Moving back and forth between 1 and 3 is huge. Between 1 and 4 will blow your socks off.

By the way you can speed up your 1 by first getting rid of apps you don't use and doing a restore as a new iPad. Just like Microsoft, once and awhile you need a clean install. :)

7. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

The best way would be to see one for yourself. It all depends on how you use your tablet. There is a difference.

8. Hallivand macrumors regular

Hallivand

You will notice an insane difference from your first gen, I got the 4th gen on launch day and this thing just flies. Plus the screen is just gorgeous :)

Safari itself, with the WiFi speeds and how it renders sites like paper will be enough to demo the retina display. Oh and the pictures taken too :D

Edited for last line

9. KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

Minor nitpick. It doesn't matter how you use the iPad 1 -- the iPad 4 leaves it in the dust. The differences are in no way trivial. The iPad 4 is much faster, much more stable, and much easier to read for smaller text.

10. Candykwan macrumors newbie

Definitely! Although the 4th gen is my first ipad. I've had opportunities to use the 1st gen before. Clarity is much better and upgrades on the software helps you get the best use out of tablet. The best way to gage it would be actually seeing it and trying it out yourself.:)

11. dthree36 macrumors regular

12. Liquinn Suspended

True, shame with most of the decent apps you have to pay for :(
    I do like my iPad 4 I got on launch day.
    I'll still keep my first gen iPad - and to think that was the newest thing out at one point.

Is it me or is the app store layout different on the iPad 1 compared to the 4 as well? Maybe this was worth bringing up/mentioning?

I hope the OP upgrades :)

Cheers.

13. irDigital0l Guest

Yes, iPad 1 still has iOS 5 version of the App Store, iPad 2,3,4 that have iOS 6 have the newer one.

14. Tree2u macrumors newbie

I just upgraded to a 4 from a 2 and I am loving the speed, go for it!!

15. supertomtom macrumors 6502

supertomtom

For sure. Apart from the speed increase and going from non-retina to retina, don't forget all the other features you've missed out from previous gens coming from iPad 1 such as cameras (which opens up a whole slew of apps for you) as well as all the new features on iOS 6 which you couldn't install before.

16. AlanKA macrumors member