iPad iPad 1 users check in here!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by fewlio, Jul 19, 2014.

1. fewlio macrumors member

I'm still rockin my iPad 1 16gb wifi as my only tab. The web browsing has gotten suckier as the web pages have gotten to be more resource demanding, but for netflix and reading comic books it does the job!! Other uses: Logitech Harmony iOS remote app, email, txting and chatting apps.

Damage: several dents and scratches on the edge frame, including an incident that has disabled my down volume rocker switch :( When i upgrade i will definitely be getting a new case that offers edge protection

How many others are still using the original, check in by posting in this thread!!

2. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Me too! Used 16GB WiFi, version 1 here.
    I was sorely tempted by the Target trade-in thing last fall though.

My main purpose getting it was as a portfolio -although obviously a retina iPad would be better for that these days. Also drawing/painting apps but after getting a decent graphics tablet for my iMac I really can't stand using my finger or a nubby stylus to draw with, it's beyond irritating. So I still occasionally use it for meetings for reference photos, drawings, notes, pdf's. Mostly for web browsing (which is pretty slow & crashy now). iBooks, audio books, iTunes rentals, YouTube & email all work just fine. My trusty old iPad is in great physical shape, it's in a case with a screen protector & looks new.

3. dwfaust, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  4. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Mine's turned into a Kindle reader and occasional iMessage device. I wanted it to be a Sonos controller, but that requires iOS 6+.

So it's going to live out its life displaying Kindle books.

I'll get a new one when the next generation appears.

5. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Launch day iPad 1...

Unfortunately it's not useful for a whole heck of a lot these days, so it's really just hanging around. I won't get rid of it, it being from Day 1.

(Oh, I don't think it will ever be worth anything, far too many were shipped on the first day, plus proving it was a Day 1 device might be a bit difficult)

6. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

64GB WiFi iPad, loved it until my apps started crashing and iOS 5 came out. I've got blobs for iOS 3 and 4, but for compatibility's sake, it's at 5.1. I no longer own it however, but it's still in the family. Sold it to my brother as a streaming device and it still sees active usage. Still had the box and everything with it, mint condition.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

Mine runs OK.
    It fell into a bucket of water, it has scratches and dents.
    This is the connector port:
    [​IMG]

Its as good as mint.

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I sold my original iPad with 4.2.1 on it and it's still running without an update. The bloke that brought it from me who I work with just uses it for safari and email. It doesn't have any apps installed other than stock

9. cullen43 macrumors newbie

Mine is still in use every day with no problems whatsoever and I can see no reason to get a new one.

Having used a friend's Air with IOS7 running has made me even more reluctant to upgrade. I'm sure IOS7 is very good etc., but I personally, just do not like it.

At the end of this year I will be looking carefully at what tablets are available in the size I want, and will make the decision of whether to stay with Apple or change to something else.

Having just paid for my third daughter's wedding, whatever I get will be on the cheap side ;)

10. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

I wonder if you guys who have trouble browsing now could install Puffin and try it out. Not sure how far back the support goes for iOS. It's much less taxing on my a5 device than other browsers because it streams pages from a remote supercomputer to the screen via data/wifi. Much less locally taxing on the device.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My girlies saw my old iPad 1 laying around in a box in my office. They've only used my iPad Mini's and were blown away at how large it was. They're definitely liking the larger tablet. For them the iPad 1 fits their needs (just youtube and basic games)

12. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

My ipad 1 is next to my favorite chair in the living room, but it only gets used for quick lookups or when the ipad air is busy.

13. CrickettGrrrl, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014

CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Thanks for this suggestion, I do happen to have Puffin on my iPad from a year or so ago ( :eek: ) -- and never used it. I will check if it helps.

----
    Well pooh! It won't connect. My version of Puffin is pretty old though, version 1.6.6 and I'm at iOS 5.1.1 so the newest one won't work. Oh well.

14. L T macrumors 6502

L T

I'm tempted to get one just to have the original ipad that changed the mobile device market for ever!

15. Nik73 macrumors regular

4 years and still going strong with my 32gb original, pretty much mint as well. It will be semi-retired tomorrow though when my new 32gb Air arrives. :)

16. Xeyad macrumors 6502

I have an iPad Mini as my daily tablet, but I use my original iPad as the ultimate arcade machine, thanks to jailbreak emulators and the iCade! ;)

[​IMG]

17. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Damn after seeing these pics I wish I still had mine. The screen got scratched to hell when a wool Christmas stocking rubbed up against it somehow, so I ended up selling it to GameStop for $200.

Don't ask me how a wool stocking can scratch an Aluminosilicate screen, but it did. It was like someone took a SOS pad pot/pan cleaner and went to town on the screen. :eek:

18. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Wut? That's weird. Was it Chinese wool?

19. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I have no idea. It was a small stocking that probably cost $1 that was filled with a bunch of random goodies that I got from a family Christmas gathering. Almost felt like fiberglass.

20. SeanR1 macrumors 6502

SeanR1

21. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

That is awesome!! :eek: :D

22. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I had an iPad 1 off eBay few years ago it has only 1 dent on the back but it works great. I realize it was little heavy than iPad 2 at the Apple store. When Steve Jobs announced about new FaceTime feature that is perfect for deaf/hearing impaired people like me so I had to give up iPad 1 on eBay and got an iPad 2 off eBay I was enjoyed how light it was I keep it until last Jan of this year I went to AT&T to request for gift card for trade in my iPhone 4S when I bought an iPhone 5S the saleswoman noticed I have an iPad on my account and asked me if I am interested in trade in for an iPad Air I could not say NO to her because she is pretty and very friendly so I gave in and got an iPad Air with bigger memory (32GB). I guess I am happy anyway. :apple:

23. msavwah macrumors 6502

Mine sits horizontally on a stand at my desk and is used as a screen and controller for my Macs and :apple:TV
    It's very handy with iTeleport and :apple:remote app.

My main device now is the rMini.

24. saberahul macrumors 68040

Looks like the mouth of the iPad screaming in agony.

25. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

My iPad 1 64 GB WiFi is still ticking. My daughter dropped it in the sink. I opened it up hoping that would dry it out better. It still works, but the display is washed out for the first 5-10 minutes after you wake it up. After that it looks and functions perfectly. Works great as a baby monitor with my Foscams.