Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mark28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
I have noticed that stores are trying to get rid of the iPad 1 still. A iPad 1 64 gb + 3G is cheaper than the iPad 2 16 gb Wifi only.

Is it worth picking up this older model with 3g support and 64 gb storage ( this fully upgraded older iPad is about $50 cheaper than the base iPad 2 too )

Some Apps won't work on an iPad 1?

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
As far as I know, there are no apps that simply don't run on the original iPad. If you're into playing graphics-heavy games, however, the iPad 2 is a much better choice.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
I have noticed that stores are trying to get rid of the iPad 1 still. A iPad 1 64 gb + 3G is cheaper than the iPad 2 16 gb Wifi only.

Is it worth picking up this older model with 3g support and 64 gb storage ( this fully upgraded older iPad is about $50 cheaper than the base iPad 2 too )

Some Apps won't work on an iPad 1?

If you plan on trading up in a year then go with it, but an iPad 2 will have a longer usable life (in terms of software upgrades, app compatibility).

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
There are indeed apps that are for the iPad2 only.

Despite the price difference, I feel that you won't like the weight of the original ipad. I sure dont.

I would buy the ipad 2.

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010

Despite the price difference, I feel that you won't like the weight of the original ipad. I sure dont.

I would buy the ipad 2.

The deal is quite interesting though.
It really depends on how you're gonna use it.

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011

I would buy the ipad 2.

Not doubting you but which apps are you referring to? I haven't found any that are designed solely for the iPad 2.

urbanj

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
I also feel a lot of the critical reviews on some apps are also because of the iPad 1. People complain of crashing or poorly running apps and then you have someone post that it runs with no issues on their iPad 2.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Not doubting you but which apps are you referring to? I haven't found any that are designed solely for the iPad 2.

Anything with augmented reality functions. And there are a few games that are iPad2 only (and others with iPad2 enhanced functionality).

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

I've seen these deals too. It's almost compelling, but I just wouldn't get over the fact I'd bought an older model, especially with such great hardware differences.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I have an iPad1, I have seen and played with an iPad2, IMHO it is better in every way, period. However, it is not that much better in a way that would make me ditch the 1 and buy a 2. If I never had either I would spend the extra and buy the iPad2, without a doubt.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
It depends on how you intend to use it. If you just need it for web browsing, e-mail, videos, casual gaming, both will be fine. If you would like to play heavy games, do facetime and such, iPad 2 is worth. Also iPad 2 is lighter, thinner and has better resale value which makes it a better choice.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
It depends on how you intend to use it. If you just need it for web browsing, e-mail, videos, casual gaming, both will be fine. If you would like to play heavy games, do facetime and such, iPad 2 is worth. Also iPad 2 is lighter, thinner and has better resale value which makes it a better choice.

Better resale value? In what way?

in terms of the percentage of the cost you pay for the device, depending on how much you bought yours for (for example, before or after the price drop with the release of the ipad 2), the iPad 1 actually has a better resale value.

it is not unheard of to get 90% or more of the cost back. that means you are basically renting the device for a few dollars a month.

given that the cost of a brand new ipad2 and a used one is much farther apart (depending on the taxes in your state), i think it would be tough to get 90% of the original price paid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.