Ipad 1 vs Ipad 2 build quality and other questions

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gadget123, Apr 18, 2011.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Is there much between them? the reports I've heard at stuff I'd be put off by are:

*Uncomfortable edges on Ipad 2.
    *Speaker volume not upto Ipad 1 standard.
    *Wi-fi range distance not as good as Ipad 1.
    *My concern is it's too cheap or light compared to Ipad 1? only tried the ones in the shop so not sure if my Ipad 2 will feel better than 1 once it arrives.

Anybody confirm this?

I have a few other questions too:

Will the next IOS5 have features not on Ipad 1 in the same way versions for Iphone have missed features out of the 3GS compared to the 4th?

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

It's possible. Technology moves and losing out on features happens all the time for older tech.

If I had to guess, I would say yes, the original iPad will not have 100% of the features in iOS 5.

3. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I feel the ipad2 better than the previous version, speaking about how to handle it.

I can't say anything about speaker volume, as I always use headsets to hear music. For gaming it is just fine.

WiFi range is exactly the same in my experience.

It's not cheap comparing with the previous iteration. The build quality is just the same.

who knows ? ;)
    Maybe the ram and the raw power could be a factor, in the future. But I don't think so.

4. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

OP:

Try a site search or use MRoogle, there are many threads already discussing these matters.

5. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

This is purely a matter of personal preference. Personally, I don't find them so.

the reports on this have been very mixed. On my iPad 2 the speaker volume is easily on a par with my iPad 1.

In all honesty, I had never heard this one. But, with my iPad 2 there is no significant loss of range. While it is certainly possible that there is some loss of range, if there is then it's so minor that I haven't noticed it.

if light equates to feeling cheap, then the iPad 2 will feel cheaper than the iPad 1 to you. To me, it feels quite well built and solid. A little lighter? Yes. Enough to notice? Absolutely. Does that mean that it's got a lesser build quality than the iPad 1? I don't think so.

And now you're asking questions that n one here can answer with anything beyond generalizations. Simply put, will there be, in some future version of iOS, a feature that the iPad 2 will get which the iPad 1 won't? Of course. In that same vein, there will be features in future versions that the iPad 2 won't get but some future version of the iPad will. And those features will certainly be excluded from the iPad 1 as well.

Now, will iOS 5 be the first version that will exclude features from the iPad 1? We don't know. Is it possible? Certainly. Is it likely? Your guess is as good as mine.

6. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

You forgot to mention iPad 2 features 9x graphics performance than iPad 1, twice as fast A5 processor, dual cameras and is 33% thinner and lighter than the iPad 1.

I would only agree with you on the comfortable issue on the iPad 2. The edges are quite sharp and can dig into your palms while holding it for a while, but the light weight and thinness of it makes up for this issue.

7. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well the Ipad 1 is slightly heavy but I assume Ipad 2 will be new standard? I can't see them going much lighter for Ipad 3?

So Ipad 2 should be the perfect design and Ipad 3 should just be better camera and retina display? :p

8. Cpt.Oliver macrumors member

Depends which color , white look cheap , black is high class :D

9. Gunny011 macrumors regular

Feels just as nice as gen 1

I can really notice the weight difference though

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Why not? They could keep the same thickness but find ways to make it lighter. For all I know, they might even find ways to make it even thinner -- the 4th gen touch is thinner than the iPad 2, no? They could make it as thin as that.

11. Gunny011 macrumors regular

Any thinner than it is now would be asking for trouble...

A tiny bit may be could be done to make it thinner...but most people would prefer it to remain as thin as it is on iPad 2.