IPad 1 vs IPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rawtoast, Nov 18, 2011.

1. rawtoast macrumors newbie

My mom i can get an IPad 2 for my birthday but i want to know which is better ipad 2 or the ipad 1.
    Thanks,
    Rawtoast

2. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

iPad 2 in pretty much every way imaginable.

3. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Everything is better save for the screen resolution.

4. rawtoast thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, also i am wonder if i should get the Ipad 2 or the 4th gen ipodtouch. my problem with the Ipad is i cant just slip it into my pocket but i also would like the bigger screen, but the mobility inst really that big of a deal since the Ipad doesn't weigh that much. i just don't want to make the wrong decision like when i got my psp.

5. idkmybffjon macrumors member

i bought a used iPad 1 from a friend a few months back, at the time i wasn't sure i would find use for the iPad and was reluctant to spend $500 on something i wasn't sure about. so i bought the used iPad 1 and love it. but, over time the thickness of the iPad and the sluggishness of switching between more than one app at a time and web browsing really begun to make me resent it. my iPhone 4 even though it has a technically slower clock speed performs better because of the extra ram. I sold it and bought an iPad 2, the difference isn't negligible like a lot of people will tell you. you notice it with every swipe and touch. the speed, the fluidness, the switching of apps, page rendering, weight, thickness.

if i had to do it over again i would have just got the iPad 2. do yourself a favor and don't cheap out.

6. rawtoast thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all of you help guys! But i have one more question about the Ipad 2... Black or white :)

7. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

Nothing wrong with the iPad 1, the iPad 2 is just a bit snappier when switching between apps or loading pages while surfing. The iPad 2 has a camera so you can video chat, if that is important to you.

You will love the iPad screen size when you watch videos or play games. It slips easily into a backpack or sling bag.

8. children macrumors regular

iPad 1 is getting slower and slower with every update.

9. number84 macrumors 6502

Read before if you read lots then white. If watching more movies then black. Not sure it really matters. Just buy the colour you like.

10. TrollToddington macrumors 6502

I got the black one because it's better when viewing pictures. I notice the white colour appeals more to girls. I'd take the black one any day.

One thing you need to consider before purchasing is what cover you will get for your iPad. The cover I got makes the iPad colour almost irrelevant because the only visible part of the body is the Home button and the screen.

11. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

I much prefer the shape of the iPad 1 (especially the fact that I can put a Zagg leatherskin on the back and fully cover everything, no stupid cut-outs for speakers), but it's noticeably heavier than the iPad 2.

12. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

No, not at all.

13. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Why is this such a difficult decision? If putting the thing in your pocket is that important to you then you have ruled out the iPad. Simple.

14. BostonBrawler macrumors member

Same resolution, but the image is clearer and has more vibrant color. I have both, and side by side, the display is night and day.

15. Angryipadguy macrumors regular

Picture is no different! I am using both with exactly the same wallpaper and they look no different at all. Just to be 100% sure i swapped to some different wallpapers and couldn't tell the difference at all. I went as far as to cut out slot in paper to compare side beside so that I didnt know what iPad was what and still couldn't tell!

16. Mad-B-One macrumors 6502a

Mad-B-One

Hmmm... never noticed that. I have both as well. Both 64GB AT&T 3Gs. Side by side, I notice a difference in speed browsing and certain apps and I notice that I can use cameras on the iPad 2 - but that's it. Maybe its the brightness or the activation of the light sensor on one of them vs not activated on the other?

Oh and one thing is true for both: These things are robust! My two-year od son plays with the iPad one since the new one came out (and he was 1.5yo back then) - screen is still unscratched... it is in the original Apple rubber sleeve though. The new iPad does not have a native case for that so I have a third party sleeve with the native smart cover. That resulted in almost invisible scratches on the aluminum back.

17. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

Why not wait four months for what will be a far superior iPad3 presumably?

18. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

Actually yes. My iPad 1 is getting unbearably sluggish. I can't wait for the iPad 3. I'm gonna upgrade as soon as possible.

19. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

You answered your own question...at my microcenter they had an iPad 2 next to a 1 and you can easily tell the difference in terms of speed on both. iPad 1 seemed to lag on everything which helped me make my mind to poney up the extra cash for the 2. That is until the 3 comes out!