Ipad 1

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rundive, Jan 28, 2012.

1. rundive macrumors newbie

My son has the first iPad. He is special needs and often changes settings when he is left unattended. I wish Apple would password protect the settings icon on the iPad as this would save me countless hours of trouble shooting and searching for the changes he often makes on his iPad.

On iTunes on his iPad the language is in spanish. On my iTunes account on my desktop I have the region as USA. There is a language setting on the iPad and it is set to English. I am unsure why his iPad iTunes is in Spanish. Is there a setting he has changed on the iPad itself?

I have the iPad 2 and the iTunes store is in English.

Thanks

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Do you mean the iTunes store is in Spanish? If so, he must have somehow or other signed in to the Spanish iTunes store, or some other country where the language is Spanish. I'd check the "store" in iPad settings and see if you are signed in to your own iTunes account.

Btw, you do know you can turn off the iTunes store in settings, under restrictions, right?

3. irDigital0l Guest

1. Apple doesn't need to change anything, its just you need to watch out more carefully.

2. You can go to settings and allow restrictions which you can choose what you want to restrict but some features are disabling purchasing apps, itunes access, facetime access, etc...

4. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

Does he have his own iTunes account ? He could have gone into Store in Settings and changed the language of the account. If he is using your account, change the password , he probably knows it and has gone into Store and changed the settings in the account there.

Enable Restrictions to selectively keep him out of things he might get into and change.

I used to work at a school for special needs children. One of my jobs was to put right the class computer when the kids got to it while unsupervised. Some of them were very ingenious in the way they personalized the computer.

5. robby001 macrumors member

6. irDigital0l Guest

Sounds like your pretty ignorant.

Did I say he sucked at doing his job or that taking care of special need kids were easy?

All I said was that 1) he should be more careful so he can know what the kid does and maybe solve the problem if he watched carefully and saw the kid change the settings, he would know what the problem was. 2) i told him that he could go to settings > restrictions and disable some stuff which might solve his problem.

Also let's be realistic, he wants Apple to add a feature for him, that's not going to happen. But like the rest of us told him, he adding some restrictions could help out.

I'm glad you didn't give him any advice.

7. robby001 macrumors member

Sorry for apparently upsetting a very caring person. :rolleyes:

But you didn’t say you should watch the child to see what settings he changed. You said and I quote "Apple doesn't need to change anything, it’s just you need to watch out more carefully." Where in there does it say anything about watching him to see what settings he is changing? You might not have come right out and said it but the way it is written it sure gives the impression that you are telling him to stop whining and pay attention to his child.

Give me a break you just pissy because someone called you out on something you shouldn’t have said. Your second point was all you should have written. Guess I really must be ignorant to your special needs.

You are right I didn’t give him any advice because Ecoh gave him all the help he needed. I didn’t think I needed to be repetitive just to make a perfectionist like you happy.

8. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

You can use the iPhone config utility to setup a restricted profile.

As for people trying to judge on how hard it is to keep an eye on kids, let alone kids with additional needs, out of those of you that are parents, tell me if you know every single thing your child did today, not many know, and those that do either have a newborn they are watching constantly or are ridiculously controlling.

Not everyone watches their kid every second and even those who think they do, their kid has at least some time out of their sight.

OP, good luck with figuring out how to fix the iPad, my best recommendation, apart from the iOS config utility, would be to back it up every morning in iTunes before your child wakes up, and if the changes are too hard to find out, restore from backup after a full wipe and then put any missing media back on.

This would add about 1 hour a day if it is that bad every day, but compared to how long you would spend trying to troubleshoot I am willing to bet you will end up in front for time spent.

9. irDigital0l Guest

I'm really sorry that you couldn't comprehend exactly what I was saying.

No seriously, get over it, your complain about my first post, I reiterate what I was saying, you complain about it again.

Give me a break and either post something useful to help this guy or stop complaining about my advice.

----------

Note: watching more carefully =/= watching 24/7

But I agree with your post.

10. rundive thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all you replies.

The iPad has opened up a whole new world for many people including those with special needs. My wife and I spend a lot time programming Voice Output Communication Aids (VOCA),computers and other devices that enhance our son's life.

I use this forum as a last resort to resolve issues with the iPad after googling,going through the iPad manual and reading iPad for dummies.Our son has the original iPad and I have the iPad 2.

I do enable restrictions under settings (password protected) when he brings his iPad to school. I take these off when he is at home with the exception of deleting apps.I have backed up his iPad to my laptop and have had to restore and reload his iPad.

The issue today was in iTunes and all the selections in the choices bar on the bottom were in Spanish.Movies,music were all in Spanish. Prompts on the screen were Spanish.I was signed into the Canadian iTunes store. I always sign out of the store after I get movies,apps etc for him so my son can't send my credit card over the limit when I leave the room. Without signing out he can rent very easily on his own.

It seems that shutting the iPad off and opening iTunes again corrected the issue I had today. I just thought there was something obvious that I had overlooked that someone could help me out with. I found nothing in any of the books/sites I visited prior to posting here.

It is very easy to access settings(even though I have moved the icon to his last page). He has figured out by double clicking the home button he can bring up the settings icon. He just has trouble comprehending that we don't want him in settings. As you all know by spending a minute in settings a lot of changes can be made. Tough to keep and eye on him all the time. The iPad is his and hands down is one of the devices that has provided him with the most independence.

As mentioned our son uses a VOCA. It was coming home from school with programming changes that,like the iPad,were taking me awhile to figure out. I finally called the manufacturer and was told to password protect the device because kids at school were likely making the changes. I couldn't believe that 7 year olds would do that but once I password protected I had no more problems. Hence my comment about password protecting the settings icon on the iPad. I wouldn't consider it too difficult to enter a 4 digit code to access the settings. I see on this site many people suggest what could be done to a device that would (in their opinion) make it a better device. You know what I would like to see.

Thanks again for your replies.

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think if you are willing to jailbreak your son's iPad, there is an JB app that lets you password protect individual apps. I haven't used it myself, but I would assume it would let you password protect the settings app as well.

Also, if you haven't done so yet, I suggest you leave feedback at: http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Explain your situation and what changes you will find useful for yourself and your son. Obviously, they can't fill every single user request, but you never know. I once left feedback on how multi-finger touch gestures are difficult to perform for certain individuals with mobility issues, and now there is a new accessibility setting for touch gestures, which, while not pefect, is a big step in the right direction.

12. lmarco69 macrumors newbie

What planet do you live on?

If you needed to enter a password to enter settings would solve almost every problem people are complaining about. Get off Apple is the greatest product ever kick. Obviously you don't have a kid. The whole point of giving a child an iPod or iPad is they can play with it and not screw it up. The fact that they can set a passcode even when restrictions are on is moronic. Huge over sight. Apple is not perfect and to allow implement a simple password to access utilities would not be that hard if we were allowed access to code. In stead you have to jailbreak and write the code which voids warranty.