Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hallstar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Is anyone else struggling to find stock of an iPad 10.2 (2021)

No stock available with Apple, John Lewis or other mainstream vendors such as Argos and Curry’s etc

Is there a known reason for this?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020

No stock available with Apple, John Lewis or other mainstream vendors such as Argos and Curry’s etc

Are you asking for reasons in addition to the known supply chain issues?

Reactions: Hallstar

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015

Yes.

The only place I can find them is swappa or ebay and they are a little bit higher prices.

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
Hmm the Apple Store here says delivery for an online order is pushed back to 14 Dec - 21 Dec. And there are none available for pickup in local stores.

Hallstar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Hmm the Apple Store here says delivery for an online order is pushed back to 14 Dec - 21 Dec. And there are none available for pickup in local stores.

Same lead times I have seen on the Apple store.

Oh well, will just have to wait it out

Reactions: max2

gollum

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2007
NKY
In addition to what has already been mentioned, in years past I've seen same thing leading up to Black Friday, retailers holding back stock so they have plenty for BF and CM sales. 11" Pros are not the easiest to find either.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
In addition to what has already been mentioned, in years past I've seen same thing leading up to Black Friday, retailers holding back stock so they have plenty for BF and CM sales. 11" Pros are not the easiest to find either.

No such issues finding the 11" Pros in the Los Angeles area. All colors and configurations are available for same day pickup in most Apple stores within a 20 mile radius.

gollum

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2007
NKY
No such issues finding the 11" Pros in the Los Angeles area. All colors and configurations are available for same day pickup in most Apple stores within a 20 mile radius.
Apple Stores yes but my local Best Buy doesn't even have one within 250 miles and it looks like they sold their display model they had the other day, Costco only has 256 SG, Sam's no, Target no, Meijers no, etc.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Apple Stores yes but my local Best Buy doesn't even have one within 250 miles and it looks like they sold their display model they had the other day, Costco only has 256 SG, Sam's no, Target no, Meijers no, etc.

Best Buy just ran a $100 off 128-256GB and $150 off 512GB+ sale last week (price matched by Amazon) which is probably why they're out of stock now. I picked up the 11" 1TB 5G for $1549.

P.S. I just checked BBY website and the 256GB and 512GB WiFi are available for same day pickup at my local store. 128GB is Sold Out but most other configs are available for pickup by next week.

Last edited:

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Last report said Apple was producing about 50% as many iPads as they'd like, and I'm sure given the choice they're prioritizing the higher margin iPads over the 10.2.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Last report said Apple was producing about 50% as many iPads as they'd like, and I'm sure given the choice they're prioritizing the higher margin iPads over the 10.2.

I don't think it's so much due to margins but rather demand for the base just being much higher. Last breakdown I saw was something like 57% base, 19% Air and 17% Pro. The 17% is probably divided still between 11" and 12.9" models.

I mean, if I were planning on buying a $329 iPad as gift, I wouldn't suddenly switch to gifting the much more expensive $599 Air or $799 Pro 11. I'd just buy a different gift. I'm sure Apple doesn't want to lose those sales due to not having enough available.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
I work in retail and 9th GEN 10.2 iPads are indeed scarce. We keep getting asked by customers about Black Friday sales for iPad. This year, like last, they can forget it. No way these will be discounted while they’re so hard to come by. Air and Pro are much easier to come by. It isn’t helped by the 9th GEN iPad with 64GB is a great buy for the vast majority of the market. It’s the best overall bang-for-the-buck iPad for the money.

Last edited:

pawnbroker

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2021
I've been checking for the basic iPad for weeks and they are no where to be found, either stuck somewhere in the Pacific waiting to be unloaded or not being manufactured in decent enough quantities due to chip shortages with Apple's focus on parts for the new iPhone.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
Odd. Apple Canada is showing delivery for the 64 and 256 GB iPad as mid next week (Nov. 17) if ordered. Yet Staples.ca shows no iPad whatsoever to be had other than Air, Pro and Mini. I know we don’t have any actually in the stores. I know we’re low on all iPads as I sold both Airs we had in stock yesterday as well as one of the Pro 11s we presently had on hand. Other locations are in much the same shape as customers are coming in telling us they can’t find the regular iPad anywhere.

stargirl29

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2021
i had problems finding one. i live in the netherlands and the 3 major electronics shops i buy from were temporarily sold out. i finally found one at the amac store. when i was inquiring about another issue, i asked apple support about the shortage. they said some areas were having issues with stock but the issues were temporary.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

You have to check every day on the Apple website for store pickup. They get small quantities every few days, and you have to be quick, but you can eventually find one locally. This is true for all their new hard to find products.

Chaparral02

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2021
The 11" pro 256gb & 512Gb wifi + cellular ipads has mainly been out of stock on amazon uk for a while now

There stock levels of the basic wifi pro versions have been ok,
Seems like it mainly the 11" pro cellular versions that has the shortages

Last edited:

pawnbroker

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2021
After posting here yesterday I checked the B&H site and found an iPad 9 on line; although not the color I initially wanted, bought it immediately. Almost ready to buy the Air 4 but couldn't justify the price based on what I do with an iPad and the fact that after my comparisons between it and the basic iPad, I saw very little difference in screen quality. If anyone is still interested in the basic iPad, check that site since they do their best to maintain stock.

o’bluetouring

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2020
After posting here yesterday I checked the B&H site and found an iPad 9 on line; although not the color I initially wanted, bought it immediately. Almost ready to buy the Air 4 but couldn't justify the price based on what I do with an iPad and the fact that after my comparisons between it and the basic iPad, I saw very little difference in screen quality. If anyone is still interested in the basic iPad, check that site since they do their best to maintain stock.

It’s out of stock (the base model in space grey for me) again will keep looking. Thanks for giving me another site to check regularly.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
i got mine a few weeks ago at Nebraska Furniture Mart. they had supply. there's a store near me so i picked it up but i believe they ship too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.