Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TBoneMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2017
CA
Hello

why did apple go with the aspect ratio for the 11 inch and I guess also the new iPad Air? All iPads have always had 3:4 aspect ratios but the iPad pro 11 inch is some weird ratio. I am not complaining I just want to know if there is a known reason or if anyone has any ideas. Is it because apple decided to go completely with their own ratio for the feel of the device when held in the hands? Is it better than the 3:4 iPad pros or what
. Why would apple change something if it’s worked for so long?

teohyc

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
Hello

why did apple go with the aspect ratio for the 11 inch and I guess also the new iPad Air? All iPads have always had 3:4 aspect ratios but the iPad pro 11 inch is some weird ratio. I am not complaining I just want to know if there is a known reason or if anyone has any ideas. Is it because apple decided to go completely with their own ratio for the feel of the device when held in the hands? Is it better than the 3:4 iPad pros or what

11-inch iPad Pro's aspect ratio is not noticeably different from the other iPads anyway

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
At least to me, it seems that the 12.9" was targeted more for production with its more "squared" off proportions while the 11" was targeted a bit more towards consumption with its more "rectangular" proportions. If I was using my 12.9" more for consumption, I, too, would prefer the 11" proportions. But the dimensions of the 12.9" is definitely more useful to do work rather than watch videos, and I hope Apple keeps these dimensions.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Hello

I was never able to notice the difference, and as a result, it didn't bother me.

Reactions: baypharm and ericwn

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Apple never stated why they chose 11”, or the aspect ratio of that device. They probably tried to keep a similar footprint coming 10.5” but we can but speculate.

Hadron

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2010
I doubt it's anything to do with a deliberate skew to consumption rather than production, since the difference is too small to be significant for media consumption purposes. I suspect it was more a side-effect of some other design choices or technical constraints.

To illustrate the differences, here are the aspect ratios for iPads vs some other recent tablets and a pure media consumption device, ordered from squarest to longest:

12.9 Pro: 1.333:1 (4:3)
11 Pro: 1.432:1 (~10:7)
Air 4: 1.439:1 (~13:9)
Tab S7: 1.600:1 (16:10)
Tab S6 Lite: 1.667:1 (5:3)
Typical TV: 1.778:1 (16:9)

You can see at a glance that the 11" iPads are much squarer than the more media-oriented devices. So for media consumption I doubt this would be a big enough step to actually sway anyonee's buying decision.

DiamondarBoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2020
Dallas, TX.
Hello

iPad Pro 11” has a screen aspect ratio of 4:3:3

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Woah never realized that the aspect ratio of the 11inch and 12.9 were different, thanks for this thread. Maybe it has something to do with usability between the 2 sizes? Also the 11inch iPad Pro and Air 4 do not differ that much from the 10.2inch iPads in terms of overall physical body size, the 11inch Pro and Air 4 are a little shorter but wider, Apple are using the 11” iPP and Air 4 to entice people coming from a standard iPad it seems:
F2D9CB1D-CDEA-46FA-A622-922AD6E6DF4D.jpeg

Reactions: George Dawes

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I doubt it's anything to do with a deliberate skew to consumption rather than production, since the difference is too small to be significant for media consumption purposes. I suspect it was more a side-effect of some other design choices or technical constraints.

To illustrate the differences, here are the aspect ratios for iPads vs some other recent tablets and a pure media consumption device, ordered from squarest to longest:

12.9 Pro: 1.333:1 (4:3)
11 Pro: 1.432:1 (~10:7)
Air 4: 1.439:1 (~13:9)
Tab S7: 1.600:1 (16:10)
Tab S6 Lite: 1.667:1 (5:3)
Typical TV: 1.778:1 (16:9)

You can see at a glance that the 11" iPads are much squarer than the more media-oriented devices. So for media consumption I doubt this would be a big enough step to actually sway anyonee's buying decision.

At the end of the day, the difference in aspect ratio won’t sway buyers. Those who want portability will choose the 11”.
But it makes sense that Apple, having a clean sheet with the 11” dimensions, was more deliberate in making it more rectangular and better for consumption. If not, then why not deviate from the classic iPad ratio?
just my thoughts here~

Hadron

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2010
Yeah, I get it. But equally it's such a half-hearted step for media consumption that it's hard to see why they'd bother. The only medium it's really close to is a non-Apple camera: most DSLRs take 3:2 images, which is just a little wider than the 11's display. Otherwise it's not even a halfway house. But I agree it's not obvious why they made this one different (the Air 4 is obviously so it fits the same keyboard).

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
At the end of the day, the difference in aspect ratio won’t sway buyers. Those who want portability will choose the 11”.
But it makes sense that Apple, having a clean sheet with the 11” dimensions, was more deliberate in making it more rectangular and better for consumption. If not, then why not deviate from the classic iPad ratio?
just my thoughts here~

They market the Pro iPads specifically as production devices. I don’t believe there was any attempt made to make consumption easier. They probably had the form factor in mind and needed a high quality LCD panel to fit.

If they really were catering to a different audience they’d have chosen a more consumption friendly display panel and a movie friendly aspect ratio.

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
iPads originally has always been aiming for 4:3 ratio for better vertical reading or web browsing, mimicking a real hand book size.
Ever since with the original Air up until current 11” Pros, they fill the foot print with more screen estate, while keeping the foot print size, hence the weird and multiple aspect ratios.
So body size / foot print first, and screen aspect ratio follows.

The 12,9” foot print is build from the ground while obviously maintaining the 4:3 screen aspect ratio. It doesn’t try to mimic certain conventional book size. So the foot print is adjusting to whatever screen estate / bezel thinning they make.
4:3 screen aspect ratio is the main thing.

For, me I like the 11” aspect ratio. It’s a sweet spot between boxy 4:3 and the media consumption oriented 16:9.
Web browsing, gaming, movies, spread sheet, reading, feels great.

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013
iPads originally has always been aiming for 4:3 ratio for better vertical reading or web browsing, mimicking a real hand book size.
Ever since with the original Air up until current 11” Pros, they fill the foot print with more screen estate, while keeping the foot print size, hence the weird and multiple aspect ratios.
So body size / foot print first, and screen aspect ratio follows.

The 12,9” foot print is build from the ground while obviously maintaining the 4:3 screen aspect ratio. It doesn’t try to mimic certain conventional book size. So the foot print is adjusting to whatever screen estate / bezel thinning they make.
4:3 screen aspect ratio is the main thing.

For, me I like the 11” aspect ratio. It’s a sweet spot between boxy 4:3 and the media consumption oriented 16:9.
Web browsing, gaming, movies, spread sheet, reading, feels great.
Yes, I agree. The AR of the 11” is indeed a seemingly convenient and comfortable form factor especially in portrait mode.

Reactions: baypharm

TBoneMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2017
CA
If I were to guess its that removing the top and bottom bezels made for a wider screen. But is it really a big difference?
But the 12.9 inch ipad didn’t change it’s aspect ratio.

When iPhones went from iPhone 8 to iphone 10 the ratio changed to 19.5:9 , how come only one of the two ipad pro aspect ratios got the ratio change from 4:3 to “IMAX” ratio of ~10/7 or 1.43....

Hadron

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2010
It occurred to me last night that the 11" Pro/Air 4 aspect ratios are just slightly longer than the sqrt(2):1 ratio of the ISO A paper sizes used in most of the world. So viewed as work devices they are a good shape for reading documents full page. Probably just a coincidence, but they are closer to this than to any common media format.

US Letter format, with its 1.29:1 ratio, is similarly close to the 4:3 of most iPads. If you use US Legal then the 16:10 used by higher-end Samsungs would be your closest match. ;)

Of course if you normally zoom and only look at part of the page then a squarer format is better anyway.

Reactions: BillyiPad95

TBoneMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2017
CA
I remember years ago when laptop screens were closer to 4:3. I miss those.
Do you mean 16:10 like the MacBooks?

Remember in early 00s there were computer monitors that were 5:4, some people still like that the most for browsing/work related things.

Also, you’ll be pleased to hear that apple MacBooks are 16:10, which is closer to 4:3 than the usual standard of 16:9, and newer Microsoft Surface Books are using a 3:2 ratio! Which is even a bit closer. So don‘t worry, I think that screen ratios are not set in stone at 16:9 and will continue to evolve.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
Do you mean 16:10 like the MacBooks?

Remember in early 00s there were computer monitors that were 5:4, some people still like that the most for browsing/work related things.

Also, you’ll be pleased to hear that apple MacBooks are 16:10, which is closer to 4:3 than the usual standard of 16:9, and newer Microsoft Surface Books are using a 3:2 ratio! Which is even a bit closer. So don‘t worry, I think that screen ratios are not set in stone at 16:9 and will continue to evolve.
4:3. 640 * 480 (back in the old days)

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
At least to me, it seems that the 12.9" was targeted more for production with its more "squared" off proportions while the 11" was targeted a bit more towards consumption with its more "rectangular" proportions. If I was using my 12.9" more for consumption, I, too, would prefer the 11" proportions. But the dimensions of the 12.9" is definitely more useful to do work rather than watch videos, and I hope Apple keeps these dimensions.
Nope. Nothing to do with the intent of the devices. Apple does not and has never made a keyboard for the iPad mini. Why? Because it feels the keyboard would be too small. If it had "chopped" off the top and bottom bezels on the "bezel-less" redesign in 2018 the 10.5"—now 11"— iPad would have been between the OG iPad and iPad mini in size. Too small by Apple's standards for a full keyboard.

So the 12.9" iPad lost it's forehead and chin while the 10.5" iPad 'grew' to 11" and lost the standard aspect ratio.

Reactions: subjonas

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
To me, the aspect ratio of the 11 is actually beneficial for productivity because it makes using 2 apps at once a lot easier. The difference in productivity between 12.9 and 11” iPads, when used landscape mode, wasn’t as large as I thought it would be. However, if you only ever have 1 app open on your screen, and you never use that split screen feature (whatever it’s called), then you do lose some vertical space for typing.

I bought the 12.9” iPad, but returned it after 10 days. Much happier with the 11”, and I don’t think I suffered a productivty hit with how I use it.

Reactions: BillyiPad95

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
In 2018 when the iPad Pro went to the new design, I was always curious why the 12.9" kept the identical screen, and just formed the new bezel design around it, while the 10.5" grew to 11", but the screen was mimicking the previous iPad's general size/footprint.

Wondered at the time why they didn't go to 11" but keep the same aspect ratio. My guess is maybe they wanted to achieve a certain balance of display width in landscape (for productivity / hardware keyboard) but also not let it get too far from the previous iPad size.

I guess keeping it at 10.5" but giving it the new bezel design would have shrunken the overall size, keyboard would have had to get even narrower, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.